Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, March 17, 2017

The Luck of the Irish - Happy St. Patrick's Day.

St. Patrick's day is the one day of the year when we all can be a little bit Irish.  It is one of those holidays that everyone loves but might not be quite sure how it all started.  Lá Fhéile Pádraig - or the Day of the Festival of St. Patrick - is a cultural or religious celebration which is on the 17th of March, which is the date notes as the traditional death date of St. Patrick (ad 385-461) , the foremost patron saint of Ireland. But the day not only celebrates the arrival of Christianity into Ireland, but celebrates Irish culture and heritage in general.  St. Patrick's Day in London emerged after the end of World War II and it was through St. Patrick's day that members of the Irish Country Associations would meet up with their fellow county ex-pats and walk behind their county banners, celebrating their Irish identity.  It's from this tradition that our Irish Day Parades today have evolved. The city of Chicago dyes the Chicago River green to celebrate the day. Savannah dies their fountains.  Green beer can be found in any good pub.  My favorite tradition is the serving of corned beef and cabbage.  I LOVE IT!....One day a year.  In 2009 I was fortunate enough to be in Dublin for St. Paddy's Day.  It was remarkable and remarkably crazy.







If you ever get a chance to visit Ireland you must go.  It will claim your heart.  I know it did mine.

Happy St. Patrick's Day !

No comments: