Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, September 14, 2016

The Aftermath Hodge Podge

Welcome to this week's edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge. If you've decided to play and answered the questions add your link at the end of Joyce's post, then run say hi to your neighbor (the blogger before you). Here we go-


1. What's changed in your life, home, or community since your last birthday?
I am a year closer to retirement.  There was a tragic murder in the community that saddened us all.  There was a hostage situation in the county.  Frank finished Course of Study. I went to Michigan over the summer.  Still living in Rock Mills, Still teaching in Randolph County, Still preaching at Midway UMC.  I have to admit I am enjoying constant right now.
2. September is Classical Music Month. Do you like/listen to classical music? If so what's a favorite piece and/or who is a favorite composer?  I like some classical music and will sometimes play it when I'm doing housework. Pachelbel's Canon in D Major is my favorite.  I also listen to some of the livelier pieces so I will move faster.  LOL 
3. Besides The Bible, what's a book that has positively changed your life, relationships, career, or perspective? How so?  When I read the question, then read Joyce's answer I started thinking about my own answer I decided to use Joyce's response.  Several books came to my mind immediately, and I could easily come up with a list of ten. but, like Joyce I went with My Utmost For His Highest by Oswald Chambers. I too am re-reading it again this year and I also agree with Joyce that it is absolutely jam-packed full of life-changing wisdom.  
4. I read (here) these ten hobbies will make you smarter...play a musical instrument, read voraciously, meditate regularly, work out your brain (puzzles, sudoku, board games, etc), exercise often, learn a new language, write your feelings down (blog, journal, just write), travel to new places, cook different kinds of meals, participate in sports actively
Are any on this list your current hobbies? Which hobby on the list would you be most inclined to try?
I currently read voraciously, pray regularly, work out my brain, exercise, write, travel and cook. I love to travel...and I love to plan the trip. I love puzzles and word games.   I am not currently learning a new language, but I do teach one and play refresher games to keep me on top.   
5. What sports traditions does your family have?  Go Noles! (hubby)  War Eagle (me).
6. In a few words, weigh in on the current football/National Anthem brouhaha. Keep it family friendly please.  I am appalled, ashamed, disappointed, and think NOONE should watch or attend ANY event.  We stand and pledge the flag every morning at my school.  I cannot make my students pledge....but they are required to stand out of respect....and I have never had a problem with any of them.  The 9-11 protest broke my heart.  I back the blue....and the firefighters....who all ran INTO the building while others were running out. 
7. Where do you have loads of patience, and where do you most lack patience?
I do not have loads of patience for the most part. I am patient when it comes to  baking, grocery shopping, crafting (as long as it is going right), shoe shopping, writing and reading.   Obviously Joyce and I are related on the impatient things....since our answers are the same.  What I do not have patience for are people driving way too slow in the left lane, particularly if it's because they're texting, (also, p.s.a-the left lane is for passing...just throwing that out there in case you're one of the drivers who try my patience), chronic complainers, laziness on the job, and technology glitches. And obviously I have no patience for highly paid professional athletes who use the 'workplace' as a means of protest. 
8. Insert your own random thought here. 
Dearest Everyone-
This is my journal entry beginning September 11, 2001. I wanted to share it with you, because I was in New York; because it was the heaviest thing I have ever experienced ~

Love,Stevie Nicks
I needed to share the whole  journal writing of Stevie Nicks with you.  She wrote it in 2001...it hurts my heart.  I hope you will read it.



5 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Hooray for being closer to retirement! Pachelbel's Canon in D is my favorite too. I agree with your answer for #6. Thank you for sharing the Stevie Nicks journal. I've been reading a lot of people who have shared their stories from that day. They bring me comfort in an odd way!

Cranberry Morning said...

Thank you for linking to that journal entry. It must have been unreal to have been in New York. I was sitting in Wisconsin at my kitchen counter, having come home from visiting my dad who was in the hospital after suffering a heart attack. I remember watching the second plane obviously deliberately crashing into the tower. I'm pretty sure that all of us remember where we were and what we were doing at that time - just as I remember being in world history class when we heard that JFK had been shot. These are life-defining moments for many, surely life-changing events for our country.

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed reading your answers to the questions this week. Our niece was working in Manhattan in 2001. It was painful to say the least waiting to hear from her.

Barbara said...

Thanks for the recommendation to read Stevie Nicks. I will do that.

I appreciate your answer regarding the National Anthem.

Joyce said...

I'm slow getting around to all the entries from last Wednesday, but better late than never. Tough week to be a NOLES fan-yikes! We're Vol fans so every week pretty much has me reaching for the Tums : ) I will hop over and read the Stevie Nicks entry. I am so with you on supporting law enforcement. We only hear about the now and then bad apples, not the thousands and thousands of heroic.