Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Sunday, June 19, 2016

A Father's Toolbox


My scripture today is from Proverbs :1-12.
Since today is Father’s Day, I thought I would talk about a father’s toolbox  As we celebrate Father’s Day, we see in the Scriptures examples and commands for parents – It calls for Father’s to be active in teaching and developing their children for life and the Lord!  The book of Proverbs is filled with thoughts about seeking and finding Godly Wisdom for life and most of it is about a Father – These words are from Solomon as he passed down truth and life lessons to his son. Father’s have a huge influence on their children and  children need fathers to take the time and Teach them about Life and the Lord.  My question this morning is how can men, as Father’s teach their children for Life and the Lord?

Men today, I want us to look at some necessary tools that you might find in your toolbox at home to help remind you of how you can teach your children about: Love & Faithfulness; Faith in the lord and seeking His ways; Being Generous and Giving to the Lord; as well as the need for discipline?
Tool #1 – Here we have an Adjustable Wrench; Father’s need to be adjustable and flexible to the situations that arise. Eph. 6:4, “Father’s do not exasperate your children; instead bring them up in the training and instruction of the Lord.”
Tool #2 – is a Level; Father’s need to walk on level paths as an example as well as keep a Level head in relationship with your children. Jer. 31:9, “They will come . . . I will lead them beside streams of water on a level path where they will not stumble, because I am their Father.”  Isaiah 26:7, “The path of the Righteous is level; O upright One, you make the way of the righteous smooth.”

Tool #3 – is one of my favorite tools….Pliers; Every toolbox needs some pliers to hold things together. So a Father needs to hold things together in his family when everyone else appear to be loosing their grip. Col. 1:17, “… and in Jesus all things hold together.” Phil. 3:12, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.”

Tool #4 – here we have some….Cologne? How did that get in here. But it is true Gentleman, one of the greatest things you can do for your children and especially your sons to teach them about Love and Faithfulness is to love their Mothers. Eph. 5:25, “Husbands love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself up for her to present her holy and blameless before the Father.”

Tool #5 –  is a Rubber Mallet; Father’s need to some urging, apply some pressure and influence but not be too hard. The Right tool for the right job. Eph. 4:1, Paul says to the Christians in Ephesus “… I URGE you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.”
Tool #6 – would be…..of course….Shop Towels; men should clean up the messes they make so as Father’s yo need to show to your children that we are not perfect. Elton John said it best, “Sorry seems to be the hardest word.” I read that most children never hear their Father’s say “I am sorry.” Seek God’s Forgiveness and your child’s when you have blown it. 1John 1:9, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from unrighteousness.”

Tool #7 – is a Tape Measure; Just like in doing a project, you need to measure.  My dad’s favorite expression….was always “measure twice – cut once.  I think it is a man thing because I have heard Frank use it too…. – so as Fathers you need to Measure your Time, Priorities, and balance with your work and family life.
Tool #8 – is very important….an Extension Cord;  You know….As you consider all that we are called to teach our children (Love and Faithfulness, Faith and God’s Ways in life, Pride, Generous and Giving to the Lord vs. selfish; how accept and deal with Discipline in life, even from the Lord. You might be looking at these tools and saying…… even with the tools: An Adjustable Wrench, a Level, Pliers, Rubber Mallot and Shop Towels - I am not too sure I can do it.  Well, then you definitely need this next tool: An Extension Cord.

I was extremely blessed because I had a great dad….but, I know that sometimes as a Father he probably felt like an Extension Cord ….being pulled and stretched in every direction – but  to be honest….people we Need an Extension Cord to help us Plug into the Power and Strength and Wisdom of our Lord to guide and use as a Good and Godly Fathers….and Mothers!  James 1:5 tells us, “If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” …and we find in 2Tim. 3:16-17, “All Scripture is God breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped to do every good work.” We as parents….mentors….aunts, uncles…grandparents….need to Plug into the Lord thru Regular Worship, Reading His Word – the Bible, Praying, Talking to God and asking His help – even praying for and with our children! God is our Heavenly Father – He loves us and is there for us always. He even can remind us through everyday Tools how we can be effective and godly parents for our Children.  Children are a blessing and a responsibility. Most often their view of our Heavenly Father will be greatly influenced by how we as their earthly Father’s love them and teach about life and the Lord.  Let me urges us all to….Seek the Lord today and let us use these tools to be godly Fathers….godly Parents for our children…Amen?
Just like on Mother's Day when I did the roses sermon....and gave away a dozen roses after the message.....well....After the message I drew one of the men's names out.....and the winner of the message toolbox was.....Delmar Green.

No comments: