Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, April 25, 2016

U Is For Under The Boardwalk

 
I can hardly believe the month is almost over and so is A-Z Blog Challenge.  It is down to the nitty gritty of my music themed month.  I thought I would start Monday off with a twofer. The letter U was a no brainer and is for the Drifters, Under the Boardwalk and the Righteous Brothers, Unchained Melody.  Bet you didn't know that "Under the Boardwalk", a hit pop song was written by Kenny Young and Arthur Resnick and recorded by The Drifters in 1964.There are two versions of the song. The mono 45 USA released version contains the line "We'll be falling in love". Beneath the line "We'll be falling in love" on the stereo album version, the line "We'll be making love" can be heard. These are two entirely different recordings, not edits of one another, as the line "on a blanket with my baby is where I'll be" is sung differently in each version. The version appearing on the Drifters' Golden Hits compilation is a composite of the two, using "making love" in the first two choruses and "falling in love" in the third. Because of the line "making love" several radio stations banned the song, or altered it with the line "we'll be falling in love" instead.  "Unchained Melody" is a 1955 song with music by Alex North and lyrics by Hy Zaret. North used the music as a theme for the little-known prison film Unchained, hence the name. It has since become one of the most recorded songs of the 20th century, most notably by the Righteous Brothers.  The song  achieved a second round of great popularity when it was featured in the 1990 blockbuster film Ghost. In 2004, it finished at number 27 on AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema.  I hope you enjoy my musical choices for today.
 
 
 

No comments: