Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, April 11, 2016

I is for It Is Well With My Soul

It is hard to believe that we have been doing this for 11 days.  Today my letter is I, I think I am finally on track...and I actually have a song and a piece of one.  This post is a little longer than any of the others so far because I have two songs for you.  I will start out with my piece and tell you about the Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida drum solo.  If you are/were a drummer you should know this song.  Driving down A-1-A in South Florida as a teenager it definitely got my motor running.  Please don't cut out on me after this one....I have saved the best for last.
 
When I was in high school I had a good many drummer friends and we would ride down the A-1-A or US 1 blaring the drum solo into the night.  Great memories.  I always envisioned myself growing up and learning to play the drums.  Did not happen!  Ok, enough on Inna-Gadda-Da-Vida.  It is time to move on to the meat of my post, It Is Well With My Soul!
 
My most favorite song was actually my father's favorite song.  My cousin, Amanda and I sang it at his funeral.   When I am in a funk I will play this song and sing it to the top of my lungs.  When it is not well with my soul I pull it out and play it.  When I bought my new car I bought a Soul....it is a great reminder.  No matter what happens...."It is Well with my Soul." This hymn was written after traumatic events in Spafford's life. The first was the death of his son at the age of 2 and the 1871 Great Chicago Fire, which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer and had invested significantly in property in the area of Chicago that was extensively damaged by the great fire). His business interests were further hit by the economic downturn of 1873, at which time he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the SS Ville du Havre. In a late change of plan, he sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sea vessel, the Loch Earn and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone …". Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.

No comments: