Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, April 8, 2016

G Is For Georgia On My Mind

 
I got ahead of myself because I was so excited to be doing the A-Z Challenge and did a post for Sunday.  So today I am back on target with the letter G.  I live in the South and one of my favorite songs was done by Ray Charles, a native of Georgia.  It is called Georgia On My Mind.   The lyrics are simple, yet they definitely touch the heart strings of any southern child.  "Georgia on My Mind" is a song by Hoagy Carmichael and Stuart Gorrell. It became the official state song of Georgia in 1979.  Although it is frequently asserted that the lyrics were written not about the state of Georgia, but rather for Carmichael's sister, Georgia Carmichael, Hoagy Carmichael himself contradicted this view with his recounting of the origin of the song in his second autobiography Sometimes I Wonder. Carmichael wrote that the song was composed when bandleader Frankie Trumbauer suggested that he write about the state of Georgia. According to Carmichael, Trumbauer also suggested the opening lyrics should be "Georgia, Georgia ...", with the remaining lyrics coming from Gorell. Carmichael made no mention at all of his sister in his telling of the song's genesis.  The song was first recorded on September 15, 1930, in New York by Hoagy Carmichael and His Orchestra with Bix Beiderbeck on muted cornet and Hoagy Carmichael on vocals. It featured Eddie Lang on guitar. The recording was part of Beiderbecke's last recording session.  It is a sulty, soulful song that brings back many memories of days gone by.  There video I chose is actually of Ray Charles and the Queen of Soul - Ms. Aretha Franklin.

 Michael Buble also does an amazing version of the song so I thought today I would give you a twofer.
Georgia On My Mind
Georgia, Georgia, the whole day through.
An' just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.
Georgia, Georgia, a song of you,
Comes as sweet and clear as moonlight through the pines.
Other arms reach out to me;
Other eyes smile tenderly.
Still in peaceful dreams I see,
The road leads back to you.
Georgia, Georgia, no peace I find.
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.
Instrumental break.
Georgia, Georgia, no peace I find.
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.
Just an old sweet song keeps Georgia on my mind.
On my mind.
On my mind.
On my mind.
On my mind.
On my mind.
On my mind.
On my mind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great song!

Good luck on the rest of the challenge! We're doing “I’ve Got The Music In Me” this year on The Road We’ve Shared. – looking at how important music is in the Down syndrome community. I hope you’ll stop by and see/hear! http://theroadweveshared.com/category/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-2016