Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Sunday, September 13, 2015

Shall We Gather At The River


Today was an amazing day in my life....but more so in the lives of three of my congregation members....a mother and her daughter celebrated their baptisms, and another youth....remembered her Baptism.  It was not just a normal, sprinkle on the head kind of baptism....nope...it was a meet at the river's edge kind of Baptism....and it sent chills all over me....and it was not just the cool breeze....it was the presence of the Holy Spirit.  This Baptism reminded me of one so long ago...in the River Jordan when John the Baptist baptized Jesus. 
I love rituals and this is one of my favorite....right up there with Communion.  The coolest thing to me was that the little girl on the right....brought her little friend....on the left....to church on Sunday....then...the little girl on the left... brought her grandmother....then her mother....and I think and the children will lead them. 
Today the Baptism of these two, and the remembering of her Baptism were  answered prayers and there was a large attendance from our church members to celebrate with them.  It was one of the largest attended baptisms I have been to....ever!  As Josh performed the service...I kept running two songs in my mind...."Gonna lay down my burdens....down by the riverside..." and "As I went down to the river to pray" from O Brother Where Art Thou.....that is exactly what they did.  How awesome this was to witness!  How awesome is our God!  What a Wonderful Sunday spent in Christian Fellowship!  Can I get an Amen!

1 comment:

Nonnie said...

Amen! I love the memory of those sweet baptisms. We have recently been blessed to see our son and another young friend be baptized, along with others from our church.