Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, April 22, 2015

2015 A-Z April Challenge - S is for Southern Sayings



When I was younger I loved watching the two power women in Gone With The Wind.  I loved their gentle southern speaking and would actually go around mimicking them at school...we all did.  Some of us were better at it than others.  My favorite line was when Scarlet holds up the dirt at Tara and states emphatically that "tomorrow is another day).  I think I have always kind of kept that reasoning in my brain files.  When things go terribly wrong...I always remember this line.  Dixie Carter's character, Julia Sugarbaker, was always one I enjoyed listening to as she made multiple syllables out of a one syllable word....and I am rambling.  Today's letter, S, is for Southern Sayings.  I think I should get two points for this since I am using two S's.  Moving on.....the South is known for it's quaint and humorous expressions....and I have to admit that I fell in love with them from the first day I lived here.  Phrases like, "Bless Her Heart,", "Too big for his britches," "That dog will hunt," "Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs," are delightful.  I can think of 100's of them, but I won't.  If you would like to check out some others then try clicking here.  Every region has it's sayings and in my travels I have picked up a few and been totally entertained by many more. I should have been a student of linguistics....I love words and word play.  If you are reading this post today I have a favor to ask....can you think of a phrase that is used in your part of the word?  Will you share it with me in a comment.  "Y'all Come Back Now, Ya Hear!"

1 comment:

nashvillecats2 said...

It's strange wherever we live we all inherit some strange sayings.
I thoroughly enjoyed your post, excellently written.
Yvonne.