Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Sunday, March 1, 2015

Lay Hold of Jesus


I was reading a devotional on Monday by Margaret Feinburg and it touched my heart so much I felt as if I had to share it with you all. “ The 40 days leading up to Easter can be some of the most life-giving, perspective-changing, revolutionary times of your year.  The Lenten Season marries repentance of sins and renewal of faith and is a rich opportunity to pursue God, stir your hunger for God and press your ear against the heavens so God can direct your path. This is the time to slough off the excess in our lives that we may live lighter and holier lives. This 40-day reset gives us the opportunity to live in gentle receptivity of God and create habits that we'll carry on throughout the year.  Often, however, the sole focus of the season is one simple question: “What are you giving up for Lent?”  Popular responses include everything from sugar to sodas, television to Twitter, Facebook to frenzied schedules. But perhaps we should be asking a better question as we prepare for Lent: “What do you want to lay hold of?”  A few years ago, instead of putting down the sweets or giving up the coffee, I felt compelled to read the entire Bible during Lent and invite others to join me. Thousands from around the world responded. I was left wonderstruck as pastors, churches, parents, kids, coworkers, and friends dove headfirst into the great big story of God. What I didn’t realize at the time is that many of the passages that came alive as I read would soon become my lifeline. Just a few months later we were ambushed with a heart wrenching call from a doctor. I was diagnosed with cancer.  The reading of Scripture had prepared me to fight cancer with an unusual weapon: joy, and that has made all the difference, but that might not have happened if I was only focused on what I should give up instead of what I could gain during this special time. Consider inviting your family and friends or small group to join in reading through the Gospels this Lent. Enter this time with prayer and faith that Christ will meet you, reveal Himself to you and surprise you as you seek to lay hold of more of Him.  I don’t know the one thing you should give up for Lent, but I do know the one thing you should lay hold of: Jesus.”  God Bless You All as we begin the season of Lent. Karen

1 comment:

Margaret Feinberg said...

Karen, I am so thrilled the Gospel #LentChallenge has resonated with you! Thank you for sharing this.