Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, December 19, 2014

Semester Evaluation-Changing My Seat and Coming To Life

Back in July I made a radical change.  I had planned to retire after this school year.  I knew that with that decision I would have to find another job to supplement my retirement income and I was ok with that.  I thought I was ready to retire....to be put out to pasture.  I had been to the retirement seminars and I had made all the list of 26 things to accomplish after retirement that they told me to make.....but to be honest I just was not ready to give up my career...my challenge....my passion.  I knew I needed to make some changes....and changes I made.  In May I applied for two openings here in the Randolph County area.  One was with the  City system and the other in the County system.  I had an interview in early summer with the City system...yet, heard nothing from the other system.  I was kind of shocked because I knew they would need a Spanish teacher.  By mid-July I had resigned myself to returning to BRHS and retiring at the end of the 2014-15 school year.  And then the phone call came....from the County system.....asking for an interview.  I had not been interviewed in over 15 years and the thought made me physically ill.  BUT WAIT!  When the principal called to set up an interview I apologized nicely and turned it down!!!!!  Can you believe that?  I had prayed to God for this opportunity and told Him I needed to be hired by July 1st.  July 1st was important because a school system does not have to let you out of your contract within 30 days of the first instructional day.  Frank and I were in my car.....at Frazier UMC, ready to attend my daughter and SIL's prayer service....and I said, " No, Thank You!"   Frank asked my why?  I told him about my prayer to God...and Frank's wonderful laugh out loud voice pierced the silence in the car.  He could not believe that I had put a condition like that on God.  He told me to call them back and schedule the interview.  If this was a God thing.....He would make it happen.  I called back, scheduled the interview, and was offered the job contingent on my other system letting me go.  If I were not a Christian I would have been floored by how it all came together....but I am a Christian.....and I am not shocked.  In just a few days we moved 25 years of teacher hoarding from one school to another.  I threw away a lot.....and we drove away with everything I owned in two vehicles.  It was a sad day.  I would miss all my friends.  I was leaving my comfort zone....but it was also a glad one.  I was embarking on a new adventure.  We moved in to the classroom at RCHS.....and it felt new, exciting, and strange.  I could not find my things!  We had teacher meetings for a week and then the day arrived when the students would file into my room....and meet me.  I was terrified that first day.  Now half a year later....I wonder why I worried.  This change was one of the best things I could have ever done.  I forgot how much fun teaching could be.  Teaching was fresh again.  I had to stay on my toes.  I no longer had that all powerful T (for tenure) behind my name.  I had to earn my place.  I think sometimes when there is not change we become complacent.  I cannot believe that we are 18 weeks into the school year and now there are only 18 more.  I changed my seat....I moved from my comfort zone....I took a chance....and I feel I have come to life.  I LOVE MY JOB!  It is my passion.  I love the kids I work with....I love the teachers I work with....I love the staff I work with.  Am I retiring at the end of the year?  I DON'T THINK SO!  I have new vitality....and a new life. 

1 comment:

The Bug said...

I'm so glad you're happy!!