Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, August 21, 2014

A Little Help From My Friends

A few Sundays ago during the Sunday School our teacher shared one of the sweetest stories with us.  I sat there with tears flowing down my face because I know this feeling....on both sides.  The story goes something like this:  "A four-year-old boy's neighbor was an elderly gentleman who had recently lost his wife.  Seeing the man outside crying, the little boy went into the man's yard, climbed into his lap and just sat there.  When his mother asked him what he had said to the neighbor, the little boy said, "Nothing.  I just helped him cry."  Even a child - or perhaps I should say, especially a child - can understand the dynamics of suffering and sympathy."  I was at a funeral and felt very ill at ease.  I knew my friend had suffered watching her parent die...and I waited for God to give me some profound words to say to her....and the family.  Nothing came.  Instead I held her in my arms, let her cry, and prayed for her.  It was enough.  Sometimes no words are better that empty ones.  When we are in this situation and we tend to tell people, "I know how you feel."  The person on the receiving end of this statement sometimes feels..."Yeah right!"  I know I did.  I wanted to look the person in the eyes and ask, "Do you?  Do you really?" I pray that you all will watch carefully what you say to people who are grieving.  Sometimes the less said the better! 

No comments: