Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, April 3, 2014

A-Z April Challenge - C is or Carpinteria

 
Several years ago, after finishing a conference, I did a brief PCH tour from San Diego to Carpinteria.  I loved my short jaunt and Carpinteria won my heart.  I had never heard of Carpinteria and just happened to stumble on it as I drove up the coast.  When I arrived as this charming little hamlet I did not want to leave.  I even went as far as to check job offerings.  Carpinteria is located on the south coast of Santa Barbara County, approximately 12 miles southeast of Santa Barbara. The city covers a land area of 2.6 square miles, and an ocean area of 4.7 square miles, for a total of 7.3 square miles. Elevation ranges from sea level to 700 feet above sea level.




 
La Carpinteria or "The Carpenter Shop" was first used by the soldiers of the Gaspar de Portola Exhibition in 1769, when during their exploration of the California coast they observed the Chumash Indians building wooden plank canoes in the area. Carpinteria's southern border is the Pacific Ocean, with City and State beaches running the entire length of the City. Carpinteria City Beach is at the foot of Linden Avenue; Carpinteria State Beach Park is at the foot of Palm Avenue; and Rincon Beach Park is at the foot of Bates Road.  Reynaldo's European and Mexican Bakery is the place to go if you are ever in Carpinteria at lunch time and be sure to order their tamales.  People stand in line a city block in length for these mouth watering treats.  C is for Carpinteria....one of my favorite stops on my road trip across America. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from the A to Z challenge. I love this theme and I want to do something similar in the future. We may have overlapped in our travels, I'll be back.