Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thursday Treats

As some of you know I am a type 2 diabetic.  I have tried my best to revamp my recipes to make them diabetic friendly.  The ones below....not so much.  It is fall and pears are dropping around here.  I thought I would share some of my grandmother's recipes.  Ok...the first one has nothing to do with pears....but it is chocolate.  My grandmother would top it with whole pecans and it was amazing. 

Hot Fudge Pie!

1 stick butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs...

1 teaspoon vanilla
3 Tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup all purpose flour.

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter and sugar with electric mixer until light and fluffy about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and mix in well. Add cocoa powder, salt and flour and stir until well combined. Grease a 8" pie plate with butter or Pam. Pour mixture in pie plate. Bake for 30 -35 minutes until center is set. If you like , you can dust with powdered sugar and serve with a side of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
 
Fresh Pear Crisp
Ingredients
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon, divide
3 tablespoons cold reduced-fat stick margarine, cut into pieces
4 cups sliced peeled pears (about 2 pounds)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

Directions
1.In a bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Cut in margarine until coarse crumbs form; set aside.
2. Place pears in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, ginger and remaining cinnamon; toss to coat. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until pears are tender. Yield: 9 servings.
I make this with apples, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries...apples and pears are my favorites.
 
Pear Cobbler (Poor Man Style)
Ingredients:
2 to 2 1/2 cups sliced fresh pears
2 cups sugar, divided
4 ounces butter
3/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon (I leave this out sometimes)
1/4 teaspoon salt
 3/4 cup milk
1 egg
Preparation:
Mix pears with 1 cup sugar and let stand. Put butter in 2-quart casserole and place in 325° oven until melted. Combine all dry ingredients, including the remaining 1 cup of sugar. Mix well. Whisk together the milk and egg; slowly combine with dry ingredients to make a batter. Pour over melted butter. Do not stir. Spoon pears over the batter. Do not stir. Bake at 325° for 50 to 60 minutes, or until nicely browned and pears are tender.  This is such an easy recipe.  Both of them are wonderful with cool whip, whipped cream, and or ice cream (butter pecan is my favorite).
 
 

2 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

They all sounds delicious, thank you for sharing them!

Anonymous said...

I am curious to fіnԁ out ωhat blog platfoгm you
happen tο bе utilizing? I'm hаνing some minоr sеcurity problems with my latest
webѕite and I would like to find something more secure.
Do you havе аnу reсommendationѕ?


my webpage black Tea