Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, September 27, 2013

Five Minute Friday: True

On Fridays a bunch of brave writers gather here to all spend 5 collective minutes writing on a single prompt.  

 The short version is: 1. Write for 5 minutes flat for pure unedited love of the written word. (On your blog or in the comments). 2. Link back to Lisa-Jo's blog by clicking here and invite others to join in {you can grab the button code in her blog footer}. 3. Go leave some comment props for the five minute artist who linked up before you. It’s a great way to catch your breath at the end of a long week. - This weeks word is TRUE.

Go: 
When I hear the word true I think of something that is actual and in accordance to fact.  I come from a long line (and I mean L-O-N-G) of storytellers.  We tend to take what is true sometimes and change it up a bit.  Does that mean it is untrue?  Well...not really.  The true story is still there...it is just embedded within descriptive adjectives and adverbs.  I loved listening to the "true" stories my uncles told when I was a child.  It was better than a book.  I would give anything to hear them today.  But, true is so much more than that.  I was raised that telling what was true meant you did not have to worry about which lie you told to whom.  My mom and dad were true to each other the entire 58 years they were married.  My dad still loved my mom just like he did on their wedding day and vice versa.  I grew up wanting that same kind of true relationship with someone.  I learned 20+ years into the marriage that being "true" or un"true" does not necessarily mean one of you is having an affair with another "real" person.  Affairs can be had with inanimate things too.  My ex-husband was not true to me and he had an affair with the Queen of Hearts. His gambling almost cost me everything...but did give Amanda and I a ton of material to write songs with.  It ended up costing me my marriage.  One day I woke up and realized that I had to be true to myself.  Sitting at my desk at work about 12 years ago I was looking for a quote for my class and found a wonderful one.  I printed it off and it sits on my desk even today.   "Above all, be true to yourself, and if you cannot put your heart in it, take yourself out of it."  Thank you Hardy D. Jackson because you saved my life.  I had raised my children to be true to themselves and somewhere along the road of motherhood I had lost sight of this concept.  As a Shakespeare major in college you would think his famous quote, "to thine ownself be true" would have sunk in.....but alas....it didn't.  In my spiritual life I have read the word true in the Bible.  My favorite "true" verses are:  John 15:1 -   “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vineyard keeper, and Proverbs 12:22 -  "The Lord detests false lips; he favors those who do what is true."  Being true is important....to you, to the people you come into contact with, but mostly in your relationship with God.  So, with that in mind...stay true to yourself and have a great weekend.

STOP:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing this post! Stay true my Five Minute Sister!

Unknown said...

My parents just celebrated 50 years and there's is a true relationship. I'm sorry your husband chose the Queen of Hearts over being true to you, but I'm glad you found a way to redeem things. Thanks for sharing! I'm visiting from FMF! :)