Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, August 5, 2013

What Do Teachers Really Make?

I have to be honest....sometimes people get under my craw when it comes to how much money teacher's do or do not make.  We don't make enough for what all we do.  Yes, I work 187 days a year.....and get paid for that 187 days.  I chose to take my pay broken down over a year so it would not mess with my insurance.  One day not too long ago I got this emailed to me from an old high school friend.  It made me want to stand up and shout...."now that is what I am talking about!"  Today I went back to work.  I will be in training sessions for the next ten days on bullying, CPR, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, students that don't speak a lick of English....but have to graduate, the English curriculum, etc....and work in my room making it a nice place for the kids on August 9th. It is because of this that I just had to share this story with you.  I don't think it really happened....but it could have.  "The dinner guests were sitting around the table discussing life. One man, a CEO, decided to explain the problem with education. He argued, "What's a kid going to learn from someone who decided his best option in life was to become a teacher?" He reminded the other dinner guests what they say about teachers "Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach." To stress his point he said to another guest;  "You're a teacher, Susan. Be honest. What do you make?" Susan, who had a reputation for honesty and frankness replied, You want to know what I make?
I make kids work harder than they ever thought they could.
I make a C+ feel like the winner of the Congressional Medal of Honor.
I make kids sit through 40 minutes of study hall in absolute silence.
You want to know what I make?
I make kids wonder.
I make them question I make them criticize.
I make them apologize and mean it.
I make them write.
I make them read, read, read.
I make them show all their work in math and perfect their final drafts in English.
I make them understand that if you have the brains, and follow your heart, and if someone ever tries to judge you by what you make, must pay no attention because they just didn't learn.
Susan paused and then continued.
"You want to know what I make?
I MAKE A DIFFERENCE. What do you make?"  Today we were encouraged to make that difference in every child's life.  We were encouraged to make them feel like they belong somewhere.  We were encouraged to go that extra mile.  I always start my year feeling like I can do that.  Sometime in the middle of the year I begin to forget why I love this job.....and then.....and it never fails....a former student sends me an email that tells me what a difference I made in their life....and for one brief shining moment....I know that what I do matters.....and what I make does not.  I make a difference....and that is enough. 

3 comments:

The Bug said...

That's one of my favorite stories too. Oh I'm just so furious with my home state (NC) I could spit! All of my friends - conservative, liberal, somewhere in between - just want to skewer the NC General Assembly (and the *&^% governor - sorry for the language!).

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love this one, thank you for sharing it.

sara said...

I am SO grateful for all the teachers in my kids life!!! Love this story!!!