Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, July 8, 2013

The Great What If...

On Sunday nights we watch movies at Midway Wedowee Church....they are not just any videos....they are videos with a message.  After we watch the movie we discuss what spoke to us and pray.  Last night we began What if...  This movie was wonderful.  I was disappointed when our time ended and we had not finished the film so I went online and researched it.  Everyone needs to see this movie.  I love a good movie and this one is just that.  The plot of the movie goes like this:   Fifteen years ago, Ben Walker (Kevin Sorbo) decided to leave his college sweetheart Wendy (Kristy Swanson), and ultimately his faith, in order to pursue a lucrative business opportunity (graduating top of his class from Harvard Business School instead of receiving a doctorate in Theology with a minor in Biblical Archaeology).  In the present, Ben has become a financial wizard as the head of his company, and has just proposed marriage to a pretty yet materialistic fiancée. When his250,000.00 Mercedes convertible breaks down on the way to the airport, he is visited by a gruff yet angelic mechanic (John Ratzenberger-Cliff from Cheers), who tells him that he needs to see what his life would have been like had he followed God’s calling. Suddenly, Ben finds himself in an alternate reality married to Wendy with two daughters - rebellious teen Kimberly (Debby Ryan), and Kimberly's little sister, Megan (portrayed by newcomer Taylor Groothuis) - getting ready for church on a Sunday morning, where he’s scheduled to give his first sermon as the new pastor. The mechanic explains that this is an experience God has put in place to show Ben what would have happened if he'd accepted his other calling, the great "What If".  If Ben wants to get back to his old life, he must first learn to appreciate the value of faith and family, and perhaps rediscover the love of his life. In the tradition of It's a Wonderful Life and The Family Man(with Nicholas Cage), What If... tells the story of a man whose glimpse into what he’s missing reminds him of what he truly wants.  I think sometimes we should all experience a "what if" moment in our lives, especially when we find ourselves far away from God.  Sometimes just asking yourself that question can bring clarity.  It did for me.  I found myself asking, "What if" I had not become a teacher....and then a student from my past sent me an email telling me what I had done for them.  I knew then and there that I did not want to alter my past.  God had put me where I was supposed to be....and I am going to do all I can for Him.  I cannot wait to see all He has in store for me at Midway Wedowee. 

No comments: