1. Share one way you think the world has changed for the better since you were a kid?
I am like Joyce and think the Internet is a pretty amazing thing. There is a negative side...people don't write letters anymore, but I have found and am able to keep up with people I have not seen in a bazillion years thanks to the internet.
2. How 'bout one way it's changed for the worse?
We took God out of the equation. No more prayer in schools, no posting of religious items in state run buildings.
3. Starlight, starfish, starling, Starbucks...your favorite 'star'?
Starlight. There is nothing like laying flat on your back in the back yard and gazing at the stars or sitting in a planetarium and looking at the stars for that month.
4. Name a song that's overplayed, but you love it anyway?
Wagon Wheel by Darius Rucker. I love the song but they played it a lot when it first hit the charts.
5. When did you last have home made ice cream? Your latest favorite flavor?
Fourth of July at Amanda's. Her sister-in-law Debbie makes one of my favorite - Wendy's frosty. It tastes just like one. My backyard neighbor, Celia makes Yoo Hoo ice cream and it is wonderful. Do you think I like chocolate or what. BTW we are having an ice cream social after the revival service tonight....I can't wait. There is nothing better than homemade ice cream.
6. What do you think is the best way to inspire or motivate people?
I know how I am inspired or motivated. I want to feel appreciated and encouraged. I can and will do anything with those two elements present. When someone shares a story with me about how they overcame an obstacle it lights my fire and I want to follow in their footsteps.
7. When was the last time you were without power?
Let's see...when did we have our last rain storm. Our power will go out for a little while (under an hour) when we have a huge rainstorm. It usually does not stay out. Our local Alabama Power Co. is on it quickly. The last time we were without power for an extended period of time was three years ago during a snow/ice storm. It was off for several hours. When the power is off like that Frank and I put away our electronic devices and play a board game by candlelight. I love those moments....until it gets hot.
8. Insert your own random thought here. In the Troup County Banner yesterday at lunch I found a Jeff Foxworthy article and one particular item stuck out. Since I go back to school on Monday to begin preparing for the kids return I thought this was a keeper. "You might be a school employee if you want to slap the next person who says, "Must be nice to work from 8 to 3:30 and have summers off." Let me tell you....this is my pet peeve. I leave my house to go to work at 6. I have to be there and clocked in by 7 and am not allowed to leave til 4. I have 22 minutes (not an hour) for lunch....and in that time have to eat and use the bathroom. I cannot leave my class to go to the bathroom....so I have to bolt between the changes of classes...to run to a two stall bathroom....with every other female employee. We got out the Friday of Memorial Day, and since then I have taken two online classes to earn 30 hours, worked in my room twice, and attended a two day English Dept meeting. I have worked dances (after 3:30), done the Prom (after 3:30), worked athletic events (required), done bus duty for a month at a time, graded countless papers at home after hours, graded research papers, and last year alone...I had 124 students first semester and 116 second. That is a lot of papers to grade. My contract reads that I work for 187 days a year.....period. That is what I get paid for. There is no extra pay for the extra things we do. I chose this job because I felt God called to teach. I love what I do. I did not go into it for the money. I would do it again if I were a younger person. One of my biggest criticizers...and sayer of the above Jeff Foxworthy quote is a nurse(with a Bachelors degree) who works on seven and off seven. Do the math....She works 130+ days....and makes way more money than I will ever see with a Masters Degree. Do you have something that sets you off? Care to share?