Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, June 21, 2013

Five Minute Friday - Rhythm

On Fridays hundreds of writers gather here to write the muse into being. You’re welcome to join from your blog, your pen and paper, your thoughts left in the comments. As long as you write. From anywhere – your desk, your car in the car pool line, your rocking chair with the baby in your arm and you typing on your phone.  Since the day I began doing this I fell in love with how we are able to make art in the middle of our every day ordinary
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.

3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

OK, are you ready? Please give us your best five minutes on the word:::

Rhythm…

Go:

I am struggling with my prompt today.  There are a million thoughts/ideas flying through my brain and I cannot seem to settle down and write.  I need some music.....but it is 4 in the morning and everyone else in the house is still asleep.  I close my eyes for a few seconds...it can't be long.  I only have five minutes to do this.  Today is Friday and as I sit here typing I find myself being soothed throughout by the rhythm of the rain.  It taps against my windows and on my roof...this is nature's music...so why am I awake at this ungodly hour?  The rhythm of the rain is nice....the crashing of the thunder and the lightening that lights up my room ....not so nice.  I love rhythms.  I love musical rhythms, I love the rhythms of the crickets and frogs singing outside at night.  I love the rhythm of a drum(I especially love the quads). 
I attend football games for that.  There is something about when that beat begins that makes my whole being contort into something that looks like a dance.  I love the rhythm you get when the sink has a tiny leak, there is a cup in the sink,....and the faucet drops one after another tiny drop into the cup. 
Rhythms are all around me.  When you drive through downtown Waverly, AL....and there is rhythm coming from the road....da dum da dum...da dum dum dum dum dum.  I get rhythm from a rocking chair.  I love the sound of the of the rockers against the floors.  I have soothed many a restless, collicky baby with that sound.  I get rhythm from the sound of my husband....or children breathing as they sleep.  I love the rhythm of a tiny heart beat in my arms as they sleep. 
I love the rhythms you think about with music.  I love the bass riffs in the song "Spirit in the Sky" or the rhythmic intro to "My Girl" by the Temptations.  The minute they begin the rhythm draws me into my musical happy place...and just like now....sitting here listening to the rhythm of the rain....all is right with my world.  I have got rhythm....and I smile.

No comments: