Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, June 14, 2013

Five Minute Friday - Listen

I look forward to Five Minute Friday each week mainly because it is just a brainstorming in five minutes....Your words. This shared feast.
How to Join:
It’s easy to join in, just:
  1. Check what the prompt is on Lisa Jo's blog.
  2. Write a post in only five minutes on that topic on your blog (or in the comments if you don’t have a blog).
  3. Link over here and invite friends to join in.
  4. Select the permalink to your post {so not your blog url www.lisajobaker.com but your post url www.lisajobaker.com/2012/07/five-minute-friday-2/ }
  5. Using the blue linky tool at the bottom of Lisa Jo's Five Minute Friday post enter your link.
  6. It will also walk you through selecting which photo you want to show up in the linky.
  7. Your post will show up in her Five Minute Friday linky.
  8. Be sure and encourage the person who linked up before you!
Our most important requirement for participation: There’s really only one absolute, no ifs, ands or buts about it Five Minute Friday rule: you must visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.

So, now be brave, set your timer, clear your head, for five minutes of free writing without worrying about getting it right.
OK, are you ready? Please give us your best five minutes on the word:::

Listen…

GO:

It is five in the morning and I am sitting in the den in the dark...listening.  What do I hear.  I hear quiet.  The sun is not up yet and I love this quiet time.  I use it to listen to God.  This is my time to have conversation with my heavenly Father.  Sometimes I pray about what is going on in my life, sometimes I find a verse and dwell on what it is saying to me, everytime I listen to see what the Father has to tell me.  When I am in school I use my hour drive time to listen.  I call them my Hwy 22 Prayers.  This is when I talk out loud to God and listen for what he tells me in return. Proverbs 23:19:  Listen, my child, and be wise! Keep your mind straight on the path.

I was once a young mother with a small child and I remember listening for the sound of a wee small one in another room chatting to herself in her crib.  I remember how I would listen for her to wake up from a nap so we could spend time together.  I remember listening for her during the night telling me if she was wet, hungry, cold, wanting to play....

I listen when my students speak to me.  Sometimes they have questions about something we are learning and I make sure I listen carefully so I can answer them correctly.  Other times they have issues outside of school and I listen so I can help them get help.  In my 20+ years of teaching I have listened to them cry out to me with issues they don't understand in their lives and my heart breaks.  I have listened to their horror stories of home and I have to report what I see physically or hear.  I have listened to the high school drama that sometimes makes me want to laugh and tell them "this too shall pass."  I listen....and because I do...they talk to me.

I listened to the storm come up last night.  I listened to the thunder and watched the lightening.  I listened to the rain pelting the house, the room, the windows.  I snuggled under my blanket a little deeper, listened, and eventually found sweet sleep.

I listen when my friends or family have something to say.  There could be a wonderful story there or an opportunity to hug.  I listen when they say their good byes and hello.  I love to listen. If there is no conversation started I will ask questions to get them to respond....and then listen.  I come from a long line of storytellers....so I learned at a young age....Listen....you never know what you will hear.

STOP:

 

No comments: