Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, April 12, 2013

K is for Kolb's Farm

 
I chose my topic battle for today because the name is close to my last name.  I know....funny reason to pick a battle...but it worked for me.  The Battle of Kolb's Farm took place in cobb County Georgia which is near where I currently live.  On June 22, 1864 a costly Confederate attack was waged to stop the Union armies attempt to bypass Kennesaw mountain. On June 22, 1864, Confederate Gen. Joseph E. Johnston sent Lt. Gen. John Bell Hood´s 13,000 troops down Powder Springs Road to stop the Union army´s threat to his flank. When Confederate skirmishers encountered Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker´s 11,000 man Union Corps here at Kolb’s Farm, Hood ordered his troops to attack.  Hooker, having learned of Hood´s plans from some captured Confederates, ordered his troops to dig in. At 4:00 p.m. Hood sent two of his three divisions towards the waiting Union soldiers. After several unsuccessful charges through the woods, fields, and swamps across the road, the battered Confederates withdrew. 


The Kolb Farm House
The house is owned and has been restored by the National Park Service. It is the only surviving Civil War-era structure in the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.

No comments: