Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, March 4, 2013

I Enjoy God!

I watched the mini-series, "The Bible" last night and while I was watching I began to have all kinds of blogging ideas and thoughts.  Today, on my way to work Psalms 84:10 came to mind and in it it tells us:  "Better is one day in your courts than a thousand elsewhere; I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of God than dwell in the tents of the wicked."
When I was a child....and even an adult..I loved going to my Grandmother Prophitt's house.  She lived 14 hours away and we did not see her often, yet...when we got there....her house smelled of cooking, home rolled Prince Albert cigarettes,....and Avon products.  I can see myself sitting at her table with all my cousins enjoying a huge family meal.  I can see myself standing in a chair in her kitchen with her apron on "helping" in the kitchen.  I remember getting a nickel from my grandfather to go outside to his shop and get a Coca-Cola from the coke box.  I loved playing in her yard....it had no grass....it was gray dirt...she swept it ever day.  I loved sitting beneath the chinaberry tree on an old bus seat with my grandfather and listening to him tell stories.  I loved it when the old men would come and they would play music until the wee hours of the morning.  I loved these moments.  On the other side of the coin was visiting my dad's mom.  I was terrified to go there and scared to death of my aunt and my grandmother.  I did not like visiting there.  I wanted to be with my mom's mom.  I have wondered many times as an adult how that made my grandmother feel....knowing (and I am sure she knew) how I did not want to be there.  It had to have hurt.  I loved both my grandmothers....but Grandmother Prophitt was just fun to  be around.  You know...sometimes I find myself feeling that way about God.  I love God....but sometimes I get so caught up in fun that I don't spend as much time with God as I should.  I wish I could spend time with my Grandmother again.  She has gone to be with God....but you know....God is right here....everyday with me....and I can spend all the time I want with Him....having fun in His presence. 

No comments: