Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Hodge Podge - Vol 116

Welcome to this week's edition of the Wednesday Hodgepodge. Add your link to the bottom of Joyce's post  by clicking here if you want to play along.  Then you need to go see what the neighbors are saying. Here are my answers-
1. My real life friends came through with another question this week so thank you real life friends. When you've eaten in a restaurant do you complete their comment card? Do you take online surveys highlighted at the bottom of store receipts?  I have to admit that sometimes I do.  I almost always do it if the food is wonderful.  I do it sometimes if the food is not so wonderful.  I feel like restaurants need to know how they are doing.  I seldom fill out the online surveys at the bottom of receipts.  I am not a lucky person per say and never win the 1,000 gift card.

2. The (US) ban on women in combat was lifted at the end of January. It will probably be next year before specifics are worked out, but its been reported over 200,000 front line positions will eventually open up to women. Your thoughts?  On one hand....I would not want it to be my daughter on the front line.  On the other hand....it could be my son.  When you sign on with the military....you know what it entails. 

3. In looking back at all the blog posts you've written, what's your favorite post title?  I can't claim a favorite.  My blog was begun so that I could deal with elderly parents living with me, a dad dying of cancer, a mom with alzheimers, nursing homes, Amber Alerts, family. stories I had to tell.  They are all my favorites.  The End of an Era, about my dad's death was the most painful.

4. What's worse-overly permissive parents or overly protective parents? Did your own parents lean more to the permissive or the protective category? If you're a parent where do you fall?  My parents were not overly permissive that is for sure...especially after the death of my brother.  They became more overly protective at that point in my life.  My dad made sure there was balance between normal and overly protective.  At least I did not smother.  I was neither.  I was not overly permissive....they had their needs and some of their wants....but I was not overly protective either....unless something happened to one of them....then mother bear came out.

5. Candlelight-moonlight-firelight-bright lights in the big city...which one's your favorite?  Oh please don't make me choose.  I love them all and for different reasons.  I love the peacefulness of candlelight and the romance it seems to provide.  We eat at Pizzavilla in LaGrange and candlelight is all you have....I love sitting a the table with Frank...just watching him in the glow and the shadows..  I love seeing a big old harvest moon and will sit outside until I cannot see it anymore.  I am drawn to fire (inside or out)...maybe there is a supressed pyromaniac in there somewhere.  I love to take pictures of fire.  It frightens and excites me at the same time.  I love the bright lights of the big city...especially when flying in. 

6. Dr. Seuss's birthday was celebrated on Saturday. What's a favorite book you remember (Seuss or otherwise) from your own childhood? Did books play an important role in your growing up years? Explain. I was the youngest card holder at the Palm Beach County Public Library. My mother and dad were both avid readers and sometimes I would rather read than sleep.  My favorite books from my childhood would be Velveteen Rabbit, Little Black Sambo, and Black Beauty.  Before I could read myself my parents read to me.  I was encouraged to read from day 1. 

7. To quote Dr. Seuss...
"From there to here, and here to there, funny things are everywhere."
from One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish
Share something funny you've recently read, seen or heard.   I finished up Rachel Hauck's book Sweet Caroline.  It is a story of a young woman who runs the Frogmore Cafe in Buefort, SC.  It was a wonderful story of a young woman finding her way.  One of my doodle methods is to write poetically using One Fish, Two Fish...or Sam I Am cadences when I am bored and my ADD kicks in.  (This is especially true at inservice meetings a nd professional development conferences.) 

8. Insert your own random thought here. In keeping with the Dr. Seuss theme, "When you think things are bad, when you feel sour and blue, when you start to get mad... You should do what I do." What do you do?  I cry, read, take pictures....some times I rant, rave, snort.  It depends on what it is and how aggitated I am.

No comments: