Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, March 18, 2013

Erin Go Bragh


Yesterday was St. Paddy's Day and all my life it has been a big deal in our household.  My mom always fixed corned beef and cabbage with Irish potatoes.  For dessert we would have chocolate bread pudding, or bread pudding with rum sauce. These were staples in our house.  My family came from Ireland and I was fortunate enough to be there on St. Paddy's day a few years ago.  There is something about Ireland that draws me back again and again. 

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
  • Directions

    • Place the bread cubes in a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Combine the milk, 1/2 cup sugar, egg yolks, butter and vanilla; pour over bread. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
    • Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
    • In a small bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
    • Spread evenly over hot filling, sealing meringue to sides of dish. Bake, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until meringue is golden. Serve warm. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 9 servings.  It is so asy to make....and oh so good to eat.
    • Surely you can see why I thought I had died and gone to heaven.  After church, for lunch we went to Cracker Barrell and Frank had corned beef and cabbage.  I ate breakfast.  Frank said the meal was good but not as good as the one he makes.  My man can cook.  On our way to the restaurant (in LaGrange) the song Be Thou My Vision kept running through my head.  I love that song...especially when Celtic Women do it.  Whoa...talk about chills. 

         

      St. Patrick Snake
      "St. Patrick (385-461 AD) was a man zealous for the things of God. As a missionary, he defied an Irish King's edict that restricted the lighting of candles on Easter Eve. King Logaire of Tara had decreed that no one was allowed light any fires until a pagan spring festival was launched by the lighting of a fire on Slane Hill. Patrick chose to honor God in spite the threat of death. King Logaire was so impressed with Patrick's brave devotion, he let him continue his missionary work unhindered.  An 8th Century Monk, Dallan Forgaill penned the words to Be Thou My Vision, as a tribute to St. Patrick's wholehearted loyalty to God. The hymn was translated from Irish to English in 1905 by Mary E. Byrne. In 1912, Eleanor H. Hull arranged the song into the verse most commonly found in English hymnals today. The music to accompany the lyrics is an ancient Irish folk tune called Slane.  I love Irish music....Blue grass is the closest thing we have here.  The melodies are haunting and the sound so touching.


    • Be Thou My Vision

      Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
      Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
      Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
      Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

      Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
      I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
      Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
      Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

      Be Thou my battle Shield, Sword for the fight;
      Be Thou my Dignity, Thou my Delight;
      Thou my soul's Shelter, Thou my high Tower:
      Raise Thou me heavenward, O Power of my power.

      Riches I heed not, nor man's empty praise,
      Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
      Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
      High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

      High King of Heaven, my victory won,
      May I reach Heaven's joys, O bright Heaven's Sun!
      Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
      Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.
      I hope your St. Paddy's Day was a good one.  I know mine was.

    No comments: