Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Hodge Podge - Vol 102


Welcome to the Wednesday Hodgepodge! If you're like most of us you probably have a lot of to-dos in your to-day, so I'm going to follow Joyce's lead and jump right in with my answers. Click here to join in and read what everyone else had to say.  Before you do I have to share with you that Joyce is hosting The Twelve Days of Christmas Kindness on her blog this month and it's not to late to join. You'll find details by clicking  here.  Okay...back to the Hodgepodge and my answers:
 
1. Share your traditions surrounding the Christmas stocking.  When I was a child the stocking held oranges, nuts, a candy cane or two, an apple, and usually a small gift or two.  If my father was giving me a piece of jewelry it would be in the stocking.  We had to look in our stockings first.  Since we lived in South Florida and had no chimney....they hug on the television cabinet or the wall.  My dad would have to set up his monster light rod and movie camera before we could come out and see our prizes.  My kids stockings were pretty much the same.  Funny thing....the fruit and nuts part I always hated.  My kids did too, but they never told me until they were grown.

2. How many hours of sleep do you average at night? Is it enough?  On a good night I get about 7 consecutive hours of sleep a night, but in recent years those hours might be interrupted so it doesn't feel like a true 7. I too am a champion at sleeping on the couch before I actually go to bed. Does that count?

3. If you had to give up one thing for the remainder of this year, what would it be?  Mine would be sweets.  As a diabetic I really don't need to eat them....but partake sometimes.

4. The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (Wills and Kate as I like to call them) have announced they're expecting a baby. Do you follow news of the Royals?  I do  not follow news of the Royals. 

5. For me the sound of childhood is______________________.  Kids playing outside.  We left the house right after breakfast, went home for lunch, headed back outside only to return at dusk.  I loved being outside.  Being inside was like being punished.  what has happened to kids today?

6. Fruit cake-yay or boo? What's your favorite dessert made with fruit? I despised fruitcake when I was growing up, and at 58 have still not acquired a taste for it.  My grandmother used to make the nasty one of all....even worse than Claxton....and we always had to have a piece....I was a pro at removing mine from the plate and hiding the evidence.  Favorite fruit dessert is......strawberry cake, shortcake, banana pudding, lemon pie....key lime pie, blueberry buckle, any fruit cobbler....I love fruit desserts....just not fruit cake!

7. What is one thing you want to accomplish before 2012 comes to an end?  This has been a difficult year and this weekend it will be a year since the death of my dear friend, Mary.   I would like to have my house in order by the end of the year.

8. Insert your own random thought here. Did you know that today is Repeal Day. It commemorates the repeal of the 18th Amendment. Once more, Americans were free to buy, sell, and consume alcoholic beverages. In the early 1900's, many of the good people of America believed that alcohol was the root cause of many social ills in the country. Prohibition on a national scale, was promoted in part by the American Christian Women's Temperance Union. This movement grew in popularity. Ultimately, the United States Congress passed the 18th amendment on January 16, 1919. The 16th Amendment prohibited the manufacture, transportation, sale and consumption of alcohol. The ban on alcohol did little to improve the social conditions of the country, or to reduce crime. Rather, crime increased as racketeers got into the the business of making and selling alcohol. The popularity of the 18th Amendment waned. More and more people and groups sought it's repeal. Congress passed the 21st Amendment, effectively repealing the 18th Amendment. On December 5, 1933, the State of Utah voted it's approval of the 21st Amendment, achieving the 3/4 of states need to approve this amendment. Thus on this day, the 18th Amendment was formally repealed.  So after all that rambling....my thought is....during the holidays do you drink egg nog?  Do you drink it straight or fully loaded? I usually drink one glass, straight, sometime during the holidays and after I come to from a sugar coma don't drink it again for another 364 days.  My mom used to sprinkle nutmeg on the top of it and I was allowed one punch cup full.  Seconds were never an option.



 

No comments: