Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, October 12, 2012

The Race Is On



Several weeks ago I found this wonderful blog where I could free write and get those creative juices flowing again.  I had gotten to a spot where it was an effort to actually write.  I have really enjoyed Lisa-Jo's meme.  Are you having trouble?  Want to join the Five-Minute Friday gang?

It’s easy to join in, just:
  1. Check what the prompt is on her blog.
  2. Write a post in only five minutes on that topic on your blog.
  3. Link over here and invite friends to join in.
  4. Select the permalink to your post {so not your blog url www.lisajobaker.com but your post url www.lisajobaker.com/2012/07/five-minute-friday-2/ }
  5. Using the linky tool at the bottom of her Five Minute Friday post enter your link.
  6. Your post will show up in the Five Minute Friday linky.
  7. Be sure and encourage the person who linked up before you!
Our most important requirement for participation: There’s really only one absolute, no ifs, ands or buts about it Five Minute Friday rule: you must visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community.

Today's Prompt is RACE:

GO:

Somedays my whole day seems like I am racing and for what?  I don't know where the finish line is or even where the start line was. I just feel like I am running to get somewhere.  Where that somewhere is is a mystery to me.  I am highly competitive and finishing first....or at least in the top is a must.  For a time my whole life seemed like a race and then I got sick and realized that it was not about the race....because there wasn't really one.  It was all in my head.  I settled down and found my answer in the Good Book.  I was thumbing through Hebrews one Sunday while Frank was preaching....and Hebrews 12 came into my mind.  I turned my bible to that chapter and there it was....Hebrews 12:1 :  "So then let’s also run the race that is laid out in front of us, since we have such a great cloud of witnesses surrounding us. Let’s throw off any extra baggage, get rid of the sin that trips us up..."  Yes, there was more....but that was all I needed.  I smiled and dated the page.  MY bible is a well used one with many scriptures notated.  God speaks to me often in the middle of the service and I listen.  I realized sitting alone in my pew that it was not about running a race....like a 5K....or running a race for competition.  It was running a race for God and it was time to throw off all the extra baggage I had been carrying around (streamlining myself) and getting rid of the sin that keeps me from competing for God at my best.  I am racing to tell people about my wonderful Savior.  I am not racing to get a trophy....or a pat on the back for being the best at my job (although those are nice things to get)....nope....I am racing for heaven....and all the glories there.  It is the race of a lifetime and one I am going to finish.  I am in Knoxville this weekend and my friend Susan and I were talking about dying.  Neither of us fears this.  We have both run a good race and should we be called to the finish line anytime soon....it will be ok.....but until we are called....we both plan on continuing the race God has set before us.  RACE ON!

STOP:

2 comments:

Denise said...

Amen, race on.

Anonymous said...

This was beautiful, Karen. I love that particular verse, and add a hearty Amen to your fearless running in this one race that matters!