Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, September 21, 2012

A Wide Five Minutes on Friday


1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community..

Oh and Ahem, if you would take pity and turn off comment verification, it would make leaving some love on your post that much easier for folks!  OK, are you ready? Please give us your best five minutes on:::

Wide
 
Go:
Today's word is wide and there are two images that keep coming to my mind.  The first is simple and childlike and from the bowels of my memories.  I see Mrs. Mebold, my primary Sunday School teacher singing "Deep and Wide" to us. She was a lovely elderly lady.  I thought she was 100 back then...but she was probably only in her 60's.  She had the kind of arms that wave bye-bye to you and she would joyously sing the words to "Deep and Wide" with actions.  Her hands would spread apart vertically as she sang the deep verse and then they would spread apart horizontally when she sang the wide verse.  She had the longest arms in the eyes of a five year old.  I loved her madly.  My second image is one I learned in church as well.  It is a picture that was in our chapel at church of Christ on the Cross.  His arms were spread out wide on that cross....and when I was in elementary Sunday School my teacher taught us...."I asked Christ how much do you love me?"  With a tear falling down his face, he said, "This much," spread out his arms wide and died.  I don't think I will ever forget that.  I taught that little tale to my children and would always give them a wide hug when they would ask me how much I loved them.  Wide to me is fathomless.  It is from end to end.  The Mississippi is wide.  I remember the first time I crossed it.  I was amazed at the distance.  It was frightening to me because of the width.  I did not think it would ever end.  This great country is wide and expressive.  No matter where you travel....there is something different....and even more beautiful than the last place...so I will say it is Wide full of Wonderment.   When our forefathers left the East coast heading to the West coast...there was no end in site.  The Big Pond (a.k.a. The Atlantic) is wide.  I remember the first time I flew across it.  It did not seem to end.  I remember thinking, "what if the plane needs gas?"  When we flew there was nothingness forever it seemed...definitely wide to the max.  I love wide....I love wide opened spaces, wide opened windows, wide open means to me....come on in....and set a spell.
 
STOP:
 
See you next week for another writers prompt.  I love reading what everyone else has written about and it has been a great springboard for my own writing...and widened my own horizons.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Such beautiful pictures of "wide." Your Sunday School teacher completely reminds me of mine, Mrs. Mannis. She, too, would sing deep and wide with the actions, while loving us deeply and widely, too. Thanks for sharing!

Denise said...

Really lovely post.

Jerralea said...

I loved reading your thoughts today. I like your story of asking Jesus how much He loves us and Him opening His arms wide on the cross and dying.

That's as wide as it can be!

I thought of the childhood song, Deep and Wide, too. I'll never forget it, either.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love what your shared about God on the cross loving us "this much", I had never heard that one before. Beautiful!