Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, July 6, 2012

Red, White and Blue Trifle

On the 4th I made a diabetic friendly red, white and blue dessert to take to a cookout.  I was not sure how it would go over....but knew that there were several diabetics in the group....myself included. I was tickled to death when it was all eaten and the little bit I had left over(it would not fit in my trifle bowl) I went home and took back to one of the ladies at the party so she could have it for breakfast.  I was smiling.  They will never know what they did for my cooking self-confidence.  Anyways, it was a recipe I snagged off of Pinterest and it was delicious.  So,  I thought I would share the dessert and recipe with you this morning.  It does not have to be eaten only on the 4th it can be eaten anytime.  Bon Appetit!

Red, White and Blueberry Trifle
Ingredients:
10 oz angel food cake, cut into 1-inch cubes*
2 pints of fresh(you can use frozen if out of season) strawberries(or raspberries), sliced
2 pints blueberries
 For the cream filling:
1 package sugar-free white chocolate (or french vanilla)  instant pudding mix
2 cups of skim or lowfat milk

12 oz fat-free frozen whipped topping, thawed 
Directions:
Add milk to a bowl and  whisk in the pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set; fold in the whipped topping.  I made it the night before an let it set before putting the trifle together. Arrange half of the cake in the bottom of a 14-cup trifle dish. Sprinkle evenly with a layer of blueberries. Spread half of the cream mixture over the blueberries and gently spread (I piped it using a plastic bag and cut the corner off). Top with a layer of strawberries. Layer the remaining cake cubes on top of the strawberries, then add more blueberries and top with the remaining cream mixture. Finish with the remaining strawberries and blueberries, arranging them in a pretty pattern. Cover and refrigerate at least one 1 hour.


1 comment:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I love trifles and your's looks so pretty! What a great recipe...thanks for sharing.