Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

U is for Universities


U is for Universities

One of the biggest mental adventures I have had was attending college.  I have a Bachelors from Auburn, a degree from the University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa), and my Masters from Auburn.  I have been fortunate enough to attend Auburn main campus and Auburn at Montgomery.  I also attended some class at Southern Miss and was an National Endowment of the Humanities Fellow and attended summer classes on Miguel Cervantes in Walla Walla, WA at Whitman college.  I have to be honest.  I loved college and wish someone would pay me what I make to just go to class. Learning is a great adventure and I am so glad I was fortunate enough to have had this experience.  My only wish was that I had done this the normal way as an 18 year old....not as a mother of three.  Sometime I think I would like to go back to school and get another degree in something fun to use when I retire in 2015.  We will see.
Sanford Hall at night on the main campus of Auburn University.  It is a well-known site and one of the most photographed places on campus.  I have made pictures of it at night, during snow, during the spring, during graduations....I love this place.
The University of Alabama's most famous site....Denny Chimes.  I used to love to sit on the quad and listen to them sound.  I lived behind the chimes in Rose Towers during my tenure on campus.
Whitman College Administrative building.  Our apartments were directly across the street from this.  This campus is lovely with ducks swimming in little brooks.  Walla Walla is a quaint town and right in the middle of some gorgeous scenery and mountains.
 When I was working on my Masters in Education I spent a huge amount of time in the AUM library.  I used to love the smell of the old books when you walked in the building.  Of all my schools I have attended I have the fondest memories of AUM.  Universities are not for everyone and if you had told me when I was a senior in high school that I was going to college I would have laughed in your face....but one day it hit and I knew I had to do this for myself.....and U for University became one of the biggest and best adventures of my life.

No comments: