Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

I Am the Face of Auburn


I did not grow up in Alabama....I did not grow up with the Auburn/Alabama rivalry.  I am not a huge football fan....honestly...I am not a football fan at all.....yet, I love Auburn University.....and I love the Univeristy of Alabama too.  One of my favorite mind photos in the whole world is Sanford Hall at Auburn University.  It is tradition, it is history, it is special.  I am a graduate of Auburn University at Montgomery and attended enough classes at Auburn, main campus to be in love with it.  It is special to me and many other Auburn graduates.....just as special as Denny Chimes in Tuscaloosa (where I also went to school.)  Today I am talking about Auburn....more specifically....the Auburn Creed.  In 1945, Auburn professor George Petrie wrote a creed which grew to become a unifying set of beliefs and principles common to all Auburn students, faculty, and alumni. This creed is said to embody the spirit of Auburn and is reflected in every member of the Auburn family.
The Auburn Creed
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.  (I work hard and for those of you who believe that teachers only work for 3 months of vacation you are dead wrong.  I work late at night preparing for my students so I can give them the best education possible.  I attend workshops and conferences to stay on top of what is new in the field of education.  I work during the summer....which by the way is only 2 months for us....we start at the beginning of August and get out at the end of May.  By mid-July I have the first terms pacing chart done and copies for the first few days of school run.  I do NOT fly by the seat of my pants when I teach.  I am prepared....I want to be the very best in my profession.....and I want to make a difference in the lives of my kids.)
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. (I hold a Masters Degree in Secondary Education from Auburn Montgomery.  I worked hard for it and my education did not stop just because I graduated.  I attend workshops and inservices every year to keep on top of the changes in education....it is important to me....and to the students.  I did not major in Underwater Basket Weaving...or Cows.  I majored in English, Spanish, Sociology, and Shakepeare.  I loved school and would still be there if someone would pay me to do just that....learn. 
I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. 
(I am what I am...no more...no less.  I was raised by parents who believed that in order to be treated with respect you had to be honest and truthful and believe you me....the times in my life when I was dishonest and lied....I paid dearly.  It truly is easier to tell the truth and face the consequences....then tell a lie and lose respect.)
I believe in a sound mind, a sound body, and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities.  ( I don't always take care of myself physically but I do know it is important.  I have a spirit of adventure and love to explore places I have never been before.)
I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all.  (I believe that laws were made for a reason and we should follow those laws.  I want everyone to follow them.  Just think what a wonderful world this would be if people did just that.  There would be no shootings, no drugs, no mean people period.)
I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all.  (I have told you before that I am a touchy feely person.  I like to touch....I like to be touched.  I believe that a hug is one of the best medicines around and many of my fellow faculty members some and see me on bad days just so I will hug them.)
I believe in my country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."  (I am proud of this country.  I am proud to be an American.  That does not mean that I like everything that goes on....but when I see old Glory unfurled and waving in the wind I can cry.  When the National Anthem is sung I cry.  When our troops walk through my line at the airport headed for Iraq....I cry.  yep....I love being an American.....and I love being a Christian American even more.)
And because Auburn men and women believe in these things, I believe in Auburn and love it.  War Eagle!  Happy Tuesday!





2 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

Hear-felt and solid.
Loved this post!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

That college looks beautiful. I am very impressed with that creed.