Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Monday, May 16, 2011

Calling All Prayer Warriors - I Need You Now!

My heart is heavy right now.  In the past eighteen months I have called upon you all for prayers during various stressful situations in my life and once again I am here with that same request.  This time I am asking for all my blogger friends to take a few minutes and lift my cousin Amanda, her husband Randy, and their children up in your prayers.  Below is what we have been getting from Amanda since Saturday.  It has been a stressful weekend and this morning at 4 Amanda called.  I need as many prayer warriors on the job as I can get.  The following is quoted from Randy's Caring Bridge. 
Update as of Noon today:  The fiollowing Caring Bridge post is from David....
Dear Friends and Family,
"Mom asked me to let you know that the doctors came by a moment ago and said that the ventilator is not doing anything, only buying time. They had initially said that they would try dialysis to remove some of the CO2 from his blood since he was not getting it out of his system through his lungs. That is no longer an option because it might change his numbers a little, but it would not change his situation. He is needing more and more support to keep him alive. They have essentially exhausted every viable option and said that Dad will not turn around. Ramona and Dustin and Susanna are on their way here. We won't be making any decisions until they arrive, but as I've said, there's nothing else that can be done. We will keep you updated as things progress today. We ask that you would continue to pray for us, especially Mom. We want you to know that this is our comfort, knowing that...
1 God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.
2 Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way
and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea,
3 though its waters roar and foam
and the mountains quake with their surging.
4 There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
5 God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
6 Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.
7 The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
 PSALM 46:1-7
Christ is our peace and our only hope in life and in death is,
"That I am not my own,
but belong—
body and soul,
in life and in death—
to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ.
He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood,
and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil.
He also watches over me in such a way
that not a hair can fall from my head
without the will of my Father in heaven:
in fact, all things must work together for my salvation.
Because I belong to him,
Christ, by his Holy Spirit,
assures me of eternal life
and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready
from now on to live for him.
(from The Heidelberg Catechism)
God bless you for your care and love for us."
Hoping in God,
David
Monday, May 16th
"Randy is not doing well on this ventilator. He is not exchanging oxygen, so they are switching him to a “jet” ventilator, which will force air into his lungs and force them to blow off the carbon dioxide that is building up in him. The staff woke me up about 4 this morning to update me and to let me know that this “jet” ventilator is the last resort. If this machine doesn’t help Randy turn things around, then there is really no hope of him getting better. His lungs are just too stiff to respond. They said if it does work, it will likely get worse before it gets better, but they should know in a couple of hours whether or not he is going to respond. They asked me if Randy and I talked about his wishes for medical care and we did. Randy doesn’t have an Advance Directive, but we talked before they put him on the ventilator and he indicated he wants to live. I just can’t bring myself to make him a DNR (do not resuscitate). The staff are trying to prepare me for the very real possibility that Randy will not pull through this. I know that’s their job, but I just can’t accept that possibility right now. I’ve been begging God all night to spare him, to heal him and give me a miracle. Please add your prayers to mine."
Sunday, May 15th
Dear Praying Friends and Family,
"We are writing this update for Mom to let you know they put Dad on the ventilator a little while ago. He fought really hard today and this will help him get the rest he needs without having to work so hard to breath. Please pray for him that he would rest and heal quickly so they can wean him off again. Thank you as always for interceding on his behalf. God is faithful."  David and Susanna (son and his wife)
Earlier on Sunday, May 15th"Another quiet, restful night. No drama, just steady, but very slow progress. I’ve been waiting for the doctor to round and let me know how the chest x-ray looked today. They just left and said the chest was definitely better. Randy has been on the Bi-pap machine since after breakfast and at first I was concerned that he wasn’t tolerating the regular mask. Then I realized they have dialed down the amount of oxygen to 75% from 100%. It’s taking him a while to get adjusted to the lower level, but he’s not de-saturating. He is breathing a little faster than I would like, but overall, he’s making progress. That’s the name of the game now. The doctors said it would likely take a couple of weeks for him to recover and they will not transfer him out of ICU until he can tolerate breathing with the oxygen at 50% and no Bi-pap. That seems like a long way off right now, but every day he will get a little stronger and closer to the goal."  "Ramona, Dustin and little Will just left to head back to Florida. David, Susanna and Tommy will also be getting on the road shortly to go back to Birmingham. They will make the trip back to Louisville tomorrow. We had some long discussions about what this means for Randy and for all of us. They know that it’s going to take some time and even then we don’t really know how well Randy will be able to function day to day. At least not until he begins to grow an immune system again. I remember being told that it will take about a year for his immune system to regenerate. Until then, he doesn’t have the weapons to fight off infections like this so we have to avoid them at all costs. I know it’s hard on the kids being so far away from their dad. I hated to call them, but I’m glad they came. He really draws strength from seeing them. He’s been sleeping most of the day today with the Bi-pap machine. I’m making him turn from side to side about every two hours to make sure his lungs don’t fill up with fluid again. We don’t want any more complications, like bed sores or other infections, so until he gets used to the lower levels of oxygen, we have to be vigilant to prevent these other potential complications. Other than keeping an eye on him, I’m trying to get rest when I can and visit with my kids while I can. I’m quickly getting back into the hospital routine. I must be getting used to this recliner, too, because I slept from midnight until 7 this morning and don’t remember waking up through the night.
I know there are a lot of Sunday school classes and churches and friends and family who are praying constantly for Randy today all across the country. We appreciate every one of you. You give us hope and strength and remind us that the Lord has everything under control. Once again, I claim Isaiah 41:10:
"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. "  Things change quickly.....but I stll believe I serve a God of miracles and my family sure needs one right now. God Bless You All!

5 comments:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I am keeping all of them in my prayers and praying for Randy's healing.

The Bug said...

I remember these days from my experience with my mom. I'll be praying for healing for Randy & peace for your family no matter what happens.

Mary said...

Praying for the family and the doctors who are treating Randy. Praying that the will of God be accepted, whatever it may be.

Queenie Jeannie said...

Hugs and prayers!!!

It's so scary and makes you feel so helpless when a loved one is struggling in the hospital! May God's love and grace shine down upon your family.

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Praying for Randy. Praying for his doctors and the hospital staff that attends him. Praying for Amanda. Praying for his children. Praying for all who love this man and all those whom he loves as well. God's grace and peace to you all.