Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Spring is Springing!

One of my favorite signs of spring is the blooming of the tulip tree.  I went on line to find out about this beautiful tree.  It has gorgeous tulip like blooms and when they fall from the tree they create a lovely flowery carpet on the ground.  It is the state tree of three southern states; Kentucky, Indiana, and Tennessee.  Did you know that the tulip tree is the tallest of the eastern North American deciduous trees?  It is often well over 150 feet, though 70 to 90 feet is more common. It has been widely planted as an ornamental tree throughout North America. It has a stately grace that is equaled by few other trees.  A stunning flowering tree, tulip tree is an ideal specimen tree. This tree is fast-growing in youth, taking on a pyramidal form. Later it slows down considerably, eventually developing a rounded head. It tends to develop a tall trunk that sheds old branches as it grows, leaving branches only at the top, especially in a forest setting. The leaves of the tulip tree are unmistakable, looking like someone had cut the top off a maple leaf with scissors. They are deciduous and dark green with a polished appearance, turning yellow in fall. The fragrant flowers, produced in spring, are large, tulip-shaped, and greenish yellow with orange markings inside, shades of pink, or shades of purple. The ones around Rock Mills are all pink or lavendar colored ones.  They are spectacular right now.  After the massive rain storm and strong winds we had last night I noticed a lot more of them on the ground this morning.
On February 18, 1893, Alabama adopted the goldenrod as the official flower of the United States! Little did they know then that the goldenrod was such a yucky choice....it drives my allergies wild.....I think it is a weed....if it isn't ....it should be.  But on September 6, 1927, the camelia was adopted as Alabama’s state flower. The yellowhammer was adopted as the state bird on the same day.  I would have to say that my other favorite flower of spring is the Alabama State Flower - the camelia.  They look so much like roses without the smell and their blooms are simply gorgeous.  My favorite camelias are the peppermint ones.

These were my dad's favorite ones too.  He loved the peppermint camelias and the peppermint azalea's both of which are hard to find.  I like any of them....red, pink, white, cream, peppermint....I don't care which one it is....I just love camelias.  They are so southern to me.

My final favorite flower of spring is the jonquil.  I have been noticing white ones, white ones with yellow throats, yellow with yellow throats.  They remind me of fairies....don't ask me why....I guess it is because they are so tiny and fragile looking, yet seem to withstand cold and rain. 



Yep, Spring has sprung.....at least it has in my world.  I can't wait for the azaleas and hydrangeas to bloom.  I love this time of year!  Happy Tuesday to you all out there in Blogging Land!

2 comments:

Love Bears All Things said...

I love seeing the Tulips Tree...it is the first to bloom after the plums...I saw Forsythia too.
Mama Bear

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

All your signs of Spring are beautiful! I'm so looking forward to blooms and blossoms!