Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Hodgepodging the First Week of Spring

Joyce, from This Side of the Pond is the Hodgepodge weekly hostess.  She always comes up with some of the best questions.  This week her post is called Partly Hodgepodge with a chance of snow....betcha can't guess where she lives?  It was 85 and glorious here yesterday.  Anyways...Here are the questions for this week's Hodgepodge...and if you want to read some more....jump over to see Joyce and check out everyone's answers.  Happy Wednesday!
1. Sunday was the first day of spring. So they say. Ahem.
What is your favorite outdoor springtime activity?
That is easy.  Working with flowers and herbs, sitting in my rocker on the porch, driving with the windows of the car down....and now with my Project 365 offering....taking pictures.  Least favorite activity - sneezing and I am doing a lot of that right now.
2. Who would you want to come into your kitchen to cook dinner for you?
Again....this is an easy one.  After Frank....it would have to be Bobby Flay, Guy Fieri, or Paula Dean (and her sons).
3. When did you last fly a kite?
Hummmm…how old are my kids? It was probably 10 or more years ago. Mary and I went to Pensacola a few years back and flew them….but have not since then. I almost bought one last week…..had a hankering to fly a kite in the pasture beside our house.
4. What topic puts you to sleep faster than anything?
Hockey, basketball, golf….
5. Which flowers do you associate with specific people, places, or events?
Orchids (Susan and her mom), Gerber Daisies (my mom), Heather/lavender (Kat), yellow roses (Deborah), Roses (Mary), Peppermint Azaleas/Camilias (My dad).
6. What significant historical events took place during your elementary school days? Where can I start? My elementary years were very tumultuous.
Where do I begin?  There was the Cuban Missile Crisis, J. F. Kennedy was assassinated, Bobby Kennedy was assassinated, M.L. King assassination, man walked on the moon, Woodstock, Vietnam, Korea. George Wallace running for President, Little Rock Nine, Desegregation, and I could go on....but then so could many of you.  "It was the best of times....it was the worst of times."
7. Do you swear? Do you pseudo-swear? (You know crap, shoot, friggin'?)
I am ashamed to say I have been known to do them both. I teach high school and sometimes after putting up with the c_ __ __ all day, I blow. I prefer pseudo-swearing over the real McCoy …but that does not always happen. Thank God I am a Christian and He will forgive me when I ask for it.
8. Pierce Harris had a profound thought when he said that a “Memory is a child walking along a seashore. You never can tell what small pebble it will pick up and store away among its treasured things.” I have a box of such treasured things I have had for years. A dried flower from a corsage, an article out of a paper, an old obituary, a rock from Ireland….etc. Do you have a memory box? What is in yours?

7 comments:

Michelle said...

When we lived in N.C. we had a porch swing. It was so nice to swing in it on a Spring day listening to the creek.

Joyce said...

I have a memory box : ) And that song Traces definitely takes me right back to Jr. High!

The other night I woke up at 3 am and sneezed 6 times...something must have just popped open because I've been sneezing. Course now its all once again under snow so I'm safe for a few days!

AuburnChick said...

It's interesting to see that you mentioned George Wallace. He grew up in my small town in Alabama, and he used to ride in the Chitlin Jamboree parade my town had each summer. I did not recognize the significance of his presence until I became an adult.

Mimi said...

A memory box sounds like a great idea, all my things are scattered all over!

Hugs & love,
Mimi

Tina said...

Some of my "stuff" is in scrapbooks. My boys each have a "special box" where we put memory trinkets. C was looking for something in his one day and came in asking "What is this?" In the *palm of his hand* was his knit cap from when he was born!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sorry about the sneezing. I'm coming to your house to eat! Those are some beautiful flowers you associate with people. I love #8, I have to ponder it more.

Mary said...

I have a memory box...I found my ticket from the World Trade Center in it.
I absolutely LOVE "Traces". Such a beautiful song...they don't make songs like that anymore!