Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Road Less Taken

I am a road fanatic.  I love to take pictures of roads...especially roads that have some about them that makes them unusual.  The road to the left was taken in Wales.  I loved the little tunnel that I stood on the otherside of to take the picture of the road that continued on.  As I stood there, in the freezing cold, I was reminded of Robert Frost's poem, "The Road Less Taken" and I had to think of all the times in my life I have chosen to take a lesser walked path.  Many times those choices brought me blessings I had never expected.  Other times the choices brought me great heartache.  I am someone who loves to explore optional choices. 

The Road Less Traveled by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Sigh....at 55, soon to be 56, I have had a number of road choices over the past several months.  I had to decide whether my mom would remain with us and have round the clock sitters and risk the chance that she would take off again,  or live at Adams and be safe.  I took the safe road there.  I don't always.  I am speaking more and loving it more than I ever thought I would....so the road appears....what am I going to do with this?....or what road is God directing me towards.  I love writing....another road....do I want to write for me (which is what I have done forever)....or for the benefit of others....I have such a story to tell and I feel that God is leading me.....the deal is....will I take the right road....and listen to God...or take the road that looks pretty and easy....and regret my decision forever.  I have a Retirement Seminar to attend on my birthday....again I find myself at a crossroad and wondering which road I will take.  I love my job...I love the kids....but I will have 25 years in 2014 and can retire.  I will be 60.  What road am I going to take?  So many roads....so little time.  I want to travel them all!  I want to live my life with no regrets!  Don't you?  Happy Thursday.

2 comments:

Sweet Tea said...

I almost always take the safe road - but on the few times I have "ventured" the other way I have learned a great deal and had some wonderful times. Some of us get braver as we age, others not-so-much. You'll figure out which way you should go. Isn't it great to have options?!

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Thanks for your visit -- I thought you'd like that one since you just recently blogged on "Wicked". You've got a lot of adventures ahead! I'll be retiring in 2014 as well with 30 years! How about that?