Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Wonderings......

Several years ago my daughter and I took a trip of a lifetime to Prince Edward Island. It is the home of Lucy Maude Montgomery, author of the Anne of Green Gables books. My daughter Kat loved them...so when she was 15 I took her there to see the homeplace. Our trip was a coastal trip for the most part, and part of it was for me. I love lighthouses....so we hit as many as we could....and the Lighthouse Depot. I have always wanted to spend a vacation as a volunteer lighthouse keeper. I have read about them, visited them, am really drawn to them. I guess it comes from living within the light of the Jupiter Lighthouse as a kid. Anyways, I had done a little research and found a haunted lighthouse. It was called Pemaquid...and there was a cozy little B & B within walking distance of the structure. We loved the Bed and Breakfast. It was the first one I had ever stayed in and I loved the homey feel it had. The innkeepers were lovely. I was so excited about the lighthouse that I could hardly sleep. Pemaquid is, to me, one of the most photogenic lights on the whole eastern coastline, and definitely one of the most visited. It is located at the end of Rte. 130 and people from all over the world come to stand at the foot of this majestic giant and take pictures of it. This lighthouse is not known as one of the most haunted lighthouses, it still has a ghost associated with it. The ghost resides in the former keeper's house, now the Fisherman's Museum run by the Town of Bristol. It seems that a red haired lady in a shawl sometimes appears. Usually near the fireplace and no one associated with the lighthouse seems to have any history on her. No one has ever died in the lighthouse, and there have been no historical deaths associated with Pemaquid at all. Yet, there she is, visible to guests of the lighthouse on occasion. Maybe she is a survivor of a shipwreck that occured many years ago...or maybe she is the wife or sweetheart of someone who was lost...and now she is waiting for them to return. Whatever her purpose or mission it is definitely something to think about. With that on my mind I went seeking her. I was not one of the fortunate ones for she did not appear during my visit. The museum worker told me she had been seen earlier in the month...so I left a wee bit disappointed...and a wee bit relieved. What would I have done if she had appeared to me? You all know I am a Christian...and a preacher's wife...but I do truly believe that sometimes there are souls that just don't rest until wrongs have been righted. Is she one of those stories? Who knows. If you like a good story about ghosts...that will raise the hair on the back of your neck a bit...then you need to read Kathryn Windham Tucker's books....13 Ghosts and Jeffery. I love them! I read them to my kids when they were young...and we even visited the 13 places in Alabama as a vacation when they were younger. I can imagine some of you are sitting there going...Girl...you are kidding me....right? You don't really believe in ghosts do you?...well....have I got a story for you....and some day...I will share it. Happy Hump Day!

3 comments:

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

Ohhhhh Spooky! My daughter saw a ghost at my grandmothers old victorian home -- she described her in such detail that I knew she was seeing something that I couldn't see looking right at it - for me, nothing was there -- but she certainly saw "something" -- I think she was only around 4 or 5 at the time.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

What a great story! I hate you didnt see her. I agreee with your feelins. And Mrs. Windham is one of my most admired people. IN Sept she host the Tall telling Sotry Festival in Selma. I plan to go, maybe I will see you? LOVE Mrs. Windham!

Trina said...

I knew about you and Kathryn going to PEI, but I don't think I've heard about the lighthouse. Of course, I do know you love lighthouses. One reason I think you are so drawn to them is because you, yourself, are a beacon to so many people.