Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, July 30, 2009

9th Grade Orientation Day

Today is 9th grade orientation day and I will be there to meet all the new incoming freshmen. I love orientation. Most of the teachers gripe because they have to give up a day and come in and work. I look at it as a great big reunion when I get to see all the new faces and some old ones I have not seen in a while. I will have a freshman advisement(homeroom) this year so for the next four years these babies will be mine. That is the one thing I love about our school. The homeroom/advisement teacher follows the student all the way through their high school career. Oh there are some changes from time to time....because the classes have to be leveled, or we lose a teacher unit and have to break up an existing advisement...but for the most part you learn all about these students...because they are yours til they graduate. I love it! This year I have three of my little sweeties from church and I am thrilled. I remember 9th grade. You think you are a big kid...and find out you are just a small fish in a big pond...and get suckered into everything. It never fails to amaze me at the number of ninth graders who buy pep rally tickets. You would think that that one had passed it's prime...yet every year...another freshman falls for it. By the time 10th grade rolls around...they are at home...and then their senior year....they all develop senioritis and are impossible to live with. I love beginnings. If you have a child heading back to school soon...enjoy these last few days of summer with them. Happy Thursday!

6 comments:

Beachbumaw said...

Sounds like fun!! And I think you are right about the soul-sister thing!! I've always wanted to be a teacher yet somehow I'm in real estate!!!

Trina said...

I losing all but 3 of my babies from last year. I have Lorraine's son now. When they came through yesterday, I asked who they had had last year. It was Tal--he is still there, but for some reason, he is getting a freshman group again. I asked Ben how they were, and he kind of shrugged. I've typed up an "Advisement Guidelines" handout for them, though, and from day 1, they are going to be perfect. 'Cause we ALL know that Mrs. Vest has THE BEST advisement group in the school. That's why I always get the last group in my grade level. LOL

Sweet Tea said...

Princess will be in the 9th grade this year. Sure wish you were her teacher. What's your address? I could send her to you; she doesn't eat much! What? You don't want a roomie who has the Swine Flu??

You were obviously "born to teach", which is really a "calling". God bless you and "your kids"!

Unknown said...

I lost about half of my advisement and I am heartbroken. After four years of the advisement-that-cannot-be-named, I was given a wonderful group of freshmen last year. I even brought them cookies and I am not the cookie-bringing type!
Gimme mah babies back, lol!

wind6 said...

With budget cuts and politician pay raises, you're still excited about the beginning of another school year. We are very fortunate to still have you with us!!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Such an exciting and emotional time. I think you are such a gift to so many, Karen. I think any child would be blessed to get you as a teacher, and I am blessed to call you friend!