Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

End of the Year Teachable Tuesday

Today is the last Tuesday for the year and I have to admit I am so glad. Tomorrow starts final exams for all students. Today, Seniors were given their exams for 3rd and 4th block. They will be finished tomorrow. We have some that will be back with us again next year. It has been a frustrating day. I had a graduating senior tell me today that he felt sorry for me....sorry? I asked...why? He told me he felt sorry for me because I am stagnant. I never move on....I smiled and told him....he was so wrong....I move on every year....with every student I have taught. I move on with them....because they carry part of me with them....I am like a river....flowing continuously....adding other rivers to me....growing....I have never been stagnant in my life......and then...poor Sam, across the hall came into my room crying. The day was more than she could handle. Teachers have been snapping at teachers, students have been hateful, ugly, and disrespectful. I don't know what has been going on....but this is the worst end of the year I can ever remember in the 23 years I have taught. But enough of that. Today's quotation is:
"You learn something every day if you pay attention." by Ray LeBlond. What a powerful statement. You can learn....but you have to pay attention first! So as my seniors leave the hallowed halls of BRHS and the juniors become next years seniors....and the underclassmen move up the ladder of time....I want to leave them for the summer with this thought. Pay attention guys...and learn!

3 comments:

Xazmin said...

I love your teacher stories, and have so much respect for you and what you do!

Sorry it's a crazy end-of year!

Mary said...

Great quote! I am amazed at some of the things I used to say as a teenager and young(er) adult. I'm glad there were people around me that understood my age & gave me the time to grow :o)

I hope the rest of the week is amazingly wonderful!!!

Trina said...

Yeah, this has been the worst end-of-year I can remember in a LONG time. At lunch yesterday, I commented that I was starting to have a negative attitude, and I. DO. NOT. LIKE. IT! Something's gotta give.