Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A Fishy Tale

I come from a long line of storytellers. My dad has three brothers and they all could weave some of the greatest stories ever told. Oral tradition is how literature as we know it came to be. I love to listen to someone tell a good story. One particular story sticks out in my mind and I just have to share it with my readers today. My uncle, Cecil, was the greatest of all storytellers. He told this story one evening after fishing all day and I believed it until I was a lot older. Gullible, thy name is Karen. Anyways, back to the story.....my uncle was fishing off the beeline in South Florida one day. He had been having a lot of luck and had run out of bait. When he realized he was running low on bait he started looking around for something he could use as bait so as not to interrupt the catching of fish. In some reeds to the right of him was a small snake that had caught a frog and was fixing to devour it. My uncle took his pole and thumped the snake on the head, stunning it temporarily. He then reached down a took the frog. He had a moment of remorse for the snake so he pulled his flask of Johnny Walker our of his hip pocket and sprinkled a little in the snakes mouth. He then cut the little frog into quarters and continued fishing. He caught four more fish and was about ready to call it a day when he felt something tug at his pants leg. He looked down, thinking he had snagged a tree limb, but lo and behold there was the little snake with five more frogs laying on the ground. The snake obviously had a taste for the Johnny Walker.....and my uncle had one gullible niece. It was a great story....and one of my favorites from my uncle Cecil. The sad thing about oral traditions....is that one day....the teller is gone....and the story lives no more. Fortunately for my uncle.....that is not the case. I remember the story and have told it several times to eager listeners. It still gets the same response....little children sit in awe and wonder and adults laugh with glee. Thanks uncle Cecil for sharing your talents with me. Happy Wednesday!

3 comments:

Debbie said...

What a great story. You are right that they need to be told and remembered.

Xazmin said...

What a great story! I too have some great storytellers in my family! I try to remember them all to pass on to my kids!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

THAT, my dear, is a precious story!!!! I LOVE it! Thanks for retelling. IN doing that, the story never dies. Storytellers give us history, tradition, and a legacy. Keep tellin', girl!