Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Resolutions

Today you will find everyone asking you the same question, "what are your new year's resolutions?" So I decided to start of the New Year and my blog with some comments on what I am going to be resolved to do in 2009. Of course there is the tradtional resolutions to quit something you do that is bad for you, exercise more, lose weight (which is my personal challenge)....but whether you've resolved to do some things less and other things more, the new year is always a great chance to change old habit and create new ones. The new year also gives us a chance to reflect. It is a time to ask ourselves just how did 2008 treat us? What were our triumphs? What were our challenges? What did God do for us and through us? How do we want to be better in 2009? What do we want to do differently. The sad part about resolutions is that most of the time they are shortlived. We SAY...we are going to change a pattern of behavior....and for a few days, weeks, or even months....we may do just that....but by March....we are back to the old habits once again. That is where the change needs to come. We are human....we make mistakes, and we fall short more often than not.....when we hit the resolution pitfall....we need to get back up....dust ourselves off....and get back on track. We are not perfect...we need to quit trying to be....and bad mouthing ourselves when we aren't.

I began thinking about what I resolved in 2008....on this very day....and had to laugh. I resolved last year to make NO resolutions....that way I would not have to fear breaking them. It was a good point in logic....lousy commentary on life. I made NO resolutions last year....so I had nothing to strive for....or be defeated by....no challenge whatsoever....How lazy is that? I am sitting here in 2009...thinking....you idiot! You are better than that....you should have at least attempted a resolution.....but nope....I did not! I hang my head in shame. I am not perfect by any stretch of the imagination....and there is always room for improvement in my life....so where did I get off thinking I was like God?

2009 is my year of possiblities....it is my year of opportunities....it is my year of dreams. I love the new year concept...it is like becoming a Christian.....the slate is wiped clean....and you get to start over again...God takes the old man (who we were before)....and turns him into a new man (who we will be)....so here it is 2009....7:35 in the morning....and I have a chance to do some house cleaning. My resolution this year....is to be a better person(my goal is).....to love others deeper....to listen to others hurts, desires, wishes and wants, to turn on light bulbs in my students eyes....to respect myself more....and to like myself more.....now if in the process of attempting these resolutions....I manage to drop a few pounds.....whooopeee!....but if I don't....it is ok. When 2009 is over I want to look at myself and like what I see....no matter what the picture is. I wish you a Happy New Year.....and resolve to blog more. God Bless Us this year!

1 comment:

Trina said...

Let's see...you ALWAYS show love to people, and OH MY GOODNESS--just HOW many times have you listened to me??? I don't sit in your class every day, but I would feel safe in saying that I think you turn on the lightbulbs in your students' eyes. I think you have a pretty good start here.

BUT YOU MUST BLOG MORE!!! :p