Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, December 5, 2008

Idol Chatter

What is your obsession????? What do you feel you were created for??? What worthless idol gets your attention? Is it some famous actor....like Mel Gibson...or Edward Cullen?...or perhaps....shoe shopping???? I was not real excited when I realized that things that had my attention....were my foci....were called idols....why? Simply put...if those things are idols....doesn't that make me an idol worshipper? The truth is....I do have numerous people, places, things...that I turn to before God for comfort, pleasure, satisfaction, purpose, meaning in life.....and yes chocolate could be one of those. I used to get a chuckle out of the t-shirt that read, "Hand over the chocolate and no one gets hurt." I don't laugh at it so much any more. Idols....grab your affection and tell you nothing but big, fat lies. They promise you love, power, comfort, pleasure....but you never really get it....what you end up with is willingly forfeited grace.....and a big, fat empty feeling. So what does capture your attention? I would have to say...mine would be the need for security. I personally need to be approved of and accepted....so what part of the gospel am I NOT believing?? I struggle with this every day of my life and....just when I thought I had it under control.....my mom moved in with me....and the insecurity reared it's ugly head again. The struggle I guess boils down to this....simply....God is God....and I AM NOT!....but maybe I am a little like Adam and Eve in the Garden....when the snake tempted them with a chance to be like God if they sampled the fruit....maybe I want a taste myself.....I am learning....slowly.....that the more I get to know God.....and who He really is.....the more I trust that He does know what is good for me.....and that has a 100% guarantee. There is an old doo-wop song that is very appropriate here:
To know know know Him
Is to love love love Him
Just to see Him smile
Makes my life worthwhile
To know know know Him
Is to love love love Him
and I do.....

Peace to you all.....K

No comments: