Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

On a Martha Becoming a Mary

In Luke 10:38-42 we read:
"As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!""Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "You are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her".

I can identify with this ultra busy woman. I am a Martha and I am often overwhelmed by the responsibilities of life. Sometimes I feel as if I have been left to do all the work ourselves. I can see Martha fussing in the kitchen, getting more frustrated by the moment as Mary sits at Jesus feet? Finally she speaks out….only to have Jesus lovingly tell her that just one thing is needed.

One thing! Out of all the many things I do, out of all the many distractions, out of all the many important things I do, only one thing is needed. What are you thinking Jesus? And just what do you think is that one thing? Well, when I ask that question....I come up with the same answer each time....the one thing...the one important thing is to do as Mary did and sit with Jesus, simply be in His presence.

I do so much for the Lord…..many things….busy things. Yet He is not calling meto work for Him…He is calling me to be with Him. He is calling me not to make a good…but to make a better choice. Out of that one thing I will find the purpose of my life as God wills it. God says to me that my soul will be fed by Him. I have to be willing to sit and listen and do as He tells me. If I am listening then I will understand. My problem so far is that I don't seem to know what to say "no" to.

I have to think a lot about what it would look like in my life if Iwere to become a "one thing" woman. My friends would be overjoyed. My God would be overjoyed. My husband would be overjoyed. I would not be so tired. I would find some time to be with Jesus. My friends who have mastered the "no" word tell me that me that when you have sat there you long to sit longer. I cannot imagine that. My life is distracted by many good things, like work, singing, writing, volunteering....but today I think I want to choose the better today…I want to begin carving out a bit of time to sit in His presence.

Music is the way I accomplish this. Music helps me clear away the distractions of everyday living. When I find I have become distracted and need to find that "one thing" that I know is needful, I find some quiet moments, put on some music, and praise God. I sit and listen and let the words of the songs become my prayers and my heart is refreshed. It is in the "one thing" that all the other things in my life can find balance. Music lets me find Jesus....when he has disappeared among all the clutter. Music is the release I need. Thank God He gave me the gift of music....so I can praise Him with my "one thing."

A Humble Servant Who Has Not Mastered the Word "No," yet....but I will. I just know it....I will. I just have to let the Martha in me go....and find the Mary. She is there....waiting for me to become her....Ready of not...here I come!

No comments: