Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Amazing Grace

I have a new favorite classic Christian song....well that is not exactly true....the song is still the same one....just a different rendition of an old favorite. Chris Tomlin's Amazing Grace haunts me. This weekend....I watched the movie that inspired him to write the song. Ironically....the movie is called, Amazing Grace. It is the story of William Wilberforce, the English Parliament member who worked tirelessly to abolish slavery in England. It was also a sub story about John Newton....an ex slave trader - turned preacher....who....received the amazing grace of God....saw the error of his way.....and wrote the words to the song, Amazing Grace. The odd thing is....most of us know the standard verses....but...we are not aware that there are verses we have never been taught. The song actually goes like this:
Verse 1: Amazing Grace (How sweet the sound) That sav'd a wretch like me!I once was lost, but now am found,Was blind, but now I see.
Verse 2: 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,And grace my fears reliev'd;How precious did that grace appear,The hour I first believ'd!
Verse 3: Thro' many dangers, toils and snare,I have already come;'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far,And grace will lead me home.
Verse 4: The Lord has promised good to me.His word my hope secures;He will my shield and portion be,As long as life endures.
Verse 5: Yes, when this flesh and heart shall fail,And mortal life shall cease;I shall profess, within the vail,A life of joy and peace.
Verse 6: The earth shall soon dissolve like snow,The sun forbear to shine;But God, who call'd me here below,Will be for ever mine.
Ok, so what happened to the line...."When we've been there ten thousand years...?" John Newton did not write that verse. Chris Tomlin added the lines"My chains are gone...I've been set free. My God my Savior, has ransomed me. And like a flood His mercy reigns, unending love, Amazing Grace."
This song has always had a powerful affect on me. The Chris Tomlin version brings me to my knees. I have never been a slave....like the ones William Wilberforce fought to free....but I have been enslaved in my life. Enslaved by addictions and sins....but right this moment I know that my sins (chains) are gone. I have been set free.....because God's Son Jesus died on a cross for me. During this reflective time of Lent....when I dwell upon all the things that lead up to the event we celebrate called Easter....I must tell everyone I see...Christ lived, Christ died...Christ rose again....I have been given Amazing Grace....and it truly is a sweet sound...because it saved this raggamuffin....and when the day comes that the world ends....I will live with Him....because of that Grace. Peace be with you!

1 comment:

Ladners'Latest said...

I too love that song. It gives me chills!! I also just saw the movie a few weeks ago and actually didn't know the song went with the movie until I saw it!

Hope you're doing well
Alaina