Isaiah 6:8

8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Friday, November 30, 2007

Lessons Part III

God has shaped me in many ways. He shaped me to care about others. I love ASP. Any of you who know me know this is a contradiction at it's finest. I hate getting dirty. I did not even like getting dirty as a child. No mud pies for me. I am also totally inept with power tools....and I am definitely not into group showers....but ....it was not what I wanted here....this was all about God's plan for me. ASP gave me a sense of purpose....when I had none....and it gave me a church family that I so desperately needed. My first year was unbelievable and so were the four that followed. I have great stories I love to share about my experiences...complete with voice sound effects.

God has shaped me with a voice to use to spread His word. I love singing. I will sing anywhere...anytime. I love singing from the stage at the Arbor...I love singing at the local nursing homes. My parents sing with a group o retired folks...called the Sunshine Singers...and Mrs. Geraldine Forbus, the leader, always seems to know when I am on vacation....and she will call me to come sing with them...and to bring a special. There is something very touching about singing with those little weathered faces to those little weathered faces...some of them know me...some of them knew me in another world...but they all recognize the love of God...and they are so precious as they praise with the music. No mater where...I love singing for the Lord. I think when I retire from teaching...I would like to sing for Hospice. I don't even have to get paid for this...it would be my priviledge...just to do it.

God has shaped me to care for the youth of this community. I teach at the local high school and love it. I love my kids...every one of them. I have been teaching at BRHS for 15 years....and have had close to 2500 students in the period of time. I have worked with the prom...directed the Senior play...sponsored various clubs....painted....decorated floats...chaperoned dances...and believe me...I do not do it for the pay...if I did....i would have chosen another field to go into. I do it because this is where God wanted me to be...and it has given me an opportunity to touch lives. I have a degree in Social Work and Education....but God's shaping came in the response of a prayer and the timing of a phone call. When I graduated from college I could not find a job...I applied with DHR and with the Alex City Board of Education...and then....I prayed. I asked God to give me a sign and let me know where he wanted me to be. Dr. Dunaway called at 9:15...39 minutes after my prayer....and offered me a job at BRHS....DHR called me an hour later....but God's plan was already being carried out...I said yes to Mickey Dunaway...and the rest is history. I don't know about you...but I am a most fortunate person...I get up every morning...and go to a job I love with all my heart. On Sundays I sing in a service I love with a passion...to a Lord I love more than anything...to a congregation that I absolutely adore. It just doesn't get much better than this...God is truly good...all the time.

No comments: